1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CBS Sports Rang/Brugler 1st round projections 11/28/12....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    I'm going to post each guy's projected first round up until the point of the Cowboys' pick, which they project to be 16th overall. Tell me which one you prefer, if either is acceptable.

Click on the links for the full 1st round mock as well as commentary. I will post the commentary for the Cowboys' pick from each guy.

Rob Rang

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang

1. Kansas City - Geno Smith QB West Virginia
    2. Jacksonville - Bjoern Werner DE Florida St.
    3. Oakland - Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
    4. Philadelphia - Luke Joeckel T Texas A&M
    5. Cleveland - Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

6. Carolina - Star Lotulelei DT Utah
    7. Buffalo - Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame
    8. Detroit - Sam Montgomery DE LSU
    9. Arizona - Matt Barkley QB USC
    10. San Diego - Jake Matthews T Texas A&M

11. N.Y. Jets - Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
    12. Tennessee - Johnathan Jenkins DT Georgia
    13. St. Louis - Taylor Lewan T Michigan
    14. Miami - Keenan Allen WR California
    15. St. Louis (Washington) - Chance Warmack G Alabama

16. Dallas - Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio St.
    Since owner Jerry Jones made himself the Cowboys' primary draft-day decision-maker, Dallas has increasingly gambled on high upside prospects with immediate impact ability. Hankins, shockingly athletic at 6-3, 320 pounds, has shown the ability to hold up nicely at nose guard, as well as at defensive end. That versatility, along with his terrific potential, could make him very appealing should his bouts with inconsistency cause the junior to slip lower than perhaps he should on draft day.

-

Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-DaneBrugler

1. Kansas City - Geno Smith QB West Virginia
    2. Jacksonville - Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
    3. Oakland - Bjoern Werner DE Florida St.
    4. Philadelphia - Luke Joeckel T Texas A&M
    5. Cleveland - Dee Milliner CB Alabama

6. Carolina - Star Lotulelei DT Utah
    7. Buffalo - Taylor Lewan T Michigan
    8. Detroit -Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame
    9. Arizona - Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
    10. San Diego - Jake Matthews T Texas A&M

11. N.Y. Jets - Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
    12. Tennessee - Sam Montgomery DE LSU
    13. St. Louis - Eric Fisher T Central Michigan
    14. Miami - Keenan Allen WR California
    15. St. Louis (Washington) - Eric Reid S LSU

16. Dallas - Chance Warmack G Alabama
    The interior of the Cowboys' offensive line has been an issue for a few seasons now and the band-aids at center and guard are wearing thin. Chance Warmack is one of the better guard prospects in recent memory and has Pro Bowl potential.
  2. K-DOGG

K-DOGG Member

129 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would prefer the Chance Womack pick! I am tired of watching Tony Romo running for his life and an anemic running game year in and year out! The Cowboys must rebuild the OL with some Big Nasties!:)
  3. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

887 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    As much as I'd love to upgrade the DL, it just has to be Warmack.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,437 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    LOL

Cards drafting Matt Leinart 2.0
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,063 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    I'd take either, maybe Jake Matthews.
  6. Risen Star

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    It's not just a Hankins or Warmack proposition though. Don't forget the players still on the board when those picks were made.

I thought one interesting thing was both guys had two Aggie OTs going in the top 10. When was the last time one school did that?

3 top 10 picks overall too. Not too shabby.
  7. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I would trade back 2 times and still have a late late 1st round pick. We could pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick. Picking this late I believe the FO would feel justified in selecting a Olineman and there should be great value at that time for one.

So, in summary, we would still select in the first round--late, and gain two additional picks in the early rounds--2 & 3. That would, if FO handles it correctly, be huge in addressing our needs. They might even pick a QB, have no idea who, with one of those early round picks
  8. Risen Star

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    Matthews is gone already in both mocks.
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,817 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I'd be ok with either one but I'd definately rather have the G more. But I think both are positions of need and could come in right away and help make the team better.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,189 Messages
    3,836 Likes Received
    Jonathan Cooper and Dallas Thomas are still on the board. I would prefer to trade down and get one of them in the twenties. They are both better fits in the Zone Blocking Scheme than Warmack, IMO.

I think an extra 2nd or 3rd in this years draft would be very valuable.

Sheldon Richardson might be a better addition to the Cowboys DL than Hankins because, IMO, he is a more disruptive pass-rusher.

Matthews at #10? That seems really high.

Reid at #15?
  11. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,333 Messages
    3,227 Likes Received
    This is a great idea if you want to draft a G or C.

I wonder if they would consider drafting a top OT and move Free to G.
  12. DFWJC

22,437 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    This is fun.

Still.... 100% count on the draft not falling very, very different than this though. Maybe 25-40% of those top 20 projected in Dec will go in the top 20 in April...it is always like that.

In any case, I like they have us getting the big fellas.
  13. Risen Star

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    I don't know. We have to be careful focusing on need in the draft. I don't want to see the Cowboys trade out of better talent to fill pressing needs. You look back three years later and wonder why you didn't take that all pro DL when you had the chance. Oh yeah, we really needed a G. How's he doing anyway? Last I heard he was on the Lions' practice squad.

As tempting as it is, avoid this OL or bust mentality in the draft. Stack your board and stick to it. If a trade down represents more value than the player at our spot, do it. But don't do it simply to better position yourself to fill a need.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    LOL at Geno going first. There is not a QB that I can see this year that should go higher then 15th at best. Honestly not a QB I would pick in the first round this year.

If we cannot get a top tier OLB/DE, then trade back and pick up a xtra second and third and get a C and a G.

I think that Ryan thinks Church can get it done at Safety; so realistically the D should be OK except for OLB as regards Spencer; he will almost certainly get offered too much for us to match.

The young guys we have on the D line are just going to have to be enough this coming year; hopefully with much better results then the young guys on the O line the last two years.

O line is the need. And with the cap situation as it is I doubt we can get much that is any good in FA. So it will have to be the draft.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,333 Messages
    3,227 Likes Received
    I think you should in general always draft like this however you have to inject need into the picture unless you already have a lot of talent and depth on the team. When it's your turn you look at what's available on your board and unless there is clearly enough difference in talent then you can generally find a player that fills a position of need. They just need to be in the top tier of players available.

For OL you have to draft to your system and talent.
  16. Risen Star

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    You're setting yourself up for a bad draft. You can not fixate on needs. What if we're picking 16th and the 6th overall player on our board is still available and he happens to be a DT while the next guy is 14th and he's a WR. The first OL is sitting there at 20. Everybody in the room is telling you he's not near the player of that DT. We reach for the OL? We trade down and miss out on what our scouts tell us is an elite talent?

This is one of the reasons why teams stack bad classes together. Constantly chasing needs during a talent acquisition process.

Take the talent.
  17. chuch

chuch Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is along the lines I was thinking. Warmack, Cooper, and Hankins have all excelled at the college level but I feel like Hankins game is less refined. There's more potential to be realized with Hankins. However, this team has proven it can do more with less on the d-line as opposed to o-line.
  18. DFWJC

22,437 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    Always like your draft thinking RS.
  19. Hardline

Hardline Benched

733 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I am sure by time the season is over.the cowboys will probably be picking in the top 10.
  20. Risen Star

20,463 Messages
    6,558 Likes Received
    Thanks. We BPA proponents need to stick together.