1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

cbssports:Shrine Practice Notes

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    thanks dc:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...stint-in-canada-hicks-stock-now-heading-north
    By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Offensive and defensive linemen began to stand out Wednesday at the East-West Shrine Game practice, where one of the biggest stories was from the far north -- Canada.

Well-traveled defensive lineman Akiem Hicks was impressive for a second successive day. Hicks played high school and junior college football in Sacramento, Calif., area. But after being at the center of a LSU recruiting controversy in 2010, he wound up playing for the University of Regina in Canada the past two seasons.

Hicks (6-5, 324 pounds) is one of the largest players on the field, but the most surprising aspect of his game is his impressive movement, showing nimble feet and fast hands. He definitely has some work to do before he is NFL-ready, but he has raw ability. Hicks isn't a natural bender and has very ordinary initial explosion out of his stance. But he does have an 84-inch wingspan and used those long limbs to dominate blockers and prove to pro teams he should be drafted in April.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Keep an eye on Hicks, as a teaser to my thread I can tell you this is a player the Cowboys have their eye on.
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Nice to know. He's 6'5" 325 lbs. He has the weight for a nose tackle, but kinda tall for that position. Would he be a DE in our scheme or NT?
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    He was an LSU recruit, not sure how much he would contribute this year, but has the size you would look for.