1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CC Sabathia staying with Yanks

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Sam I Am, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    CC is staying with a 5 year extension worth $122M.

The actual change is the Yankees added a single year at $30M to the contract.

Wow, $30M for a single year.

Baseball's financials is so stupid. One year of his contact is only $6M less than the entire payroll of the Kansas City Royals last season.

Funny thing is, on road trips CC's contract guarantees he gets a suite even though nobody else does. :laugh2:
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It's probably the only room big enough for him. :laugh1:
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good job locking up one of our best players up. Now let's get Pujols. :D
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    We need pitching, not a 1st Baseman IMO. We have plenty of power up and down the lineup. We need starting pitching IMO.
  5. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Word is the Yankees are going after the Japanese guy and not CJ Wilson.

I think the Rangers are going after both CJ and the Japanese guy. Rumor says Pujols too, but I don't know how much weight I put into that.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    BTW, Yankees also extended Brian Cashman for 3 years as well today.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,705 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    No question.

Nova isn't a #2 IMO. More like a #3 or #4.

They need a reliable #2 starter and I don't see one either on the big team or in the minors.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I think only St. Louis can sign Pujols. JMO

There was some talk about Darvish but I don't know how serious it is. I don't know that it will go anywhere.

One thing I do know, the Yankees will go after CJ Wilson. You can count on that. I thiink Oswald might be of interest and I think the Yankees will be interested in Paplebon. There are a few more out there well but I can see the Yankees being interested in all of these.
  9. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I heard someone say that Pujols means everything to the Cardinals and that no matter how high the price goes, the Cardinals can not lose him. (he *IS* the franchise)

If I were the Rangers I would offer him $30M a year for 15 years then tell the Cardinals to go get him! ($450M contract) :laugh2:
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Pujols would look good in a Rangers uniform. With LaRussa retiring, I think there's absolutely zero shot Pujols returns to St. Louis.
  11. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't want Pujolz cause of that we need him cause of his hitting. A-Rod and Jeter aren't the same hitters they used to be.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,705 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    True, but look at the number of runs this offense scored. And that's even having very little production out of the DH position.

Offense isn't going to be a problem.

Get a legit #2 starter and you're talking a great shot at winning the division (again).

Get a legit #2 & #3 and you're talking a World Series favorite.

If Oswalt committed to playing at least a couple more years I'd consider him in one of those spots.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :bow:
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Yankees were 2nd in the Majors in runs scored. That's pretty good considering Jeter started hitting so late, Tex hit 40 points lower then his career average and ARod was injured most of the year. I can not see any one of those guys duplicating those numbers next year. Now, if you wanted to make the case that Tex has had two sub par years hitting for average, OK. However, he still hit 39 HRs, had 111 RBIs and turned in a Golden Glove type year with only 3 Errors and a .997 Fielding Percentage at 1st. That's a year that almost any 1st baseman would take in the Majors and it was an off year for Tex.

Our problem, IMO, is not at 1st base or even offensive. We need a couple of good arms in the starting rotation and we need to start thinking about another closer.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How are you going to use Pujols when you have Tex? Which one do you think is going to smile and accept being a DH?
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,705 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    And then you had Posada getting 340 atbats, which was a massive waste of the DH spot.

Yep. Another two arms for the rotation.
  17. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,846 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    You can't look at it as a single year for $30 million. Sabathia could have become an unrestricted free agent if he had so desired, so it's essentially a brand new deal.

Not that (almost) $25 million per year is all that much more reasonable. :laugh2:
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    THe biggest thing the Rangers must do is improve their pitching.

They've got plenty of offense on this team but they've got to get more pitching from guys with backbones who won't break under the pressure of the World Series.

I am not opposed to getting Pujols either but pitching is the most important thing to improve this year.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's a shame. The pitching came together so well during the regular season. CJ was the biggest disappointment in the playoffs. The Cards pitching wasn't a whole lot better than ours, but their ace was better than ours.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received

Yeah it really was. It was just crushing to watch pretty much everyone not named Holland absolutely break under the pressure of pitching to the Cards hitters.