1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chances one of these guys is available at 14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Mar 22, 2012.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    What are chances either DeCastro, Coples, Cox, or Ingram is available at 14? Seems like one of them is bound to drop
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Here are my best guesses as of today,

I think these 5 players are locks to go before pick 14:

Luck
    RGIII
    Kalil
    Claiborne
    J Blackmon

I think these 2 players will most likely go before 14:

T Richardson
    R Reiff

And I think these 4 players will likely go before 14:
    Q Coples
    M Floyd - Whoever needs a WR and doesn't get Blackmon could easily pick Floyd. I think there is a gap between the top 3 WRs and the rest.
    D Poe - Someone will like his Combine and athleticsm and pick him early, imo.
    R Tannehill - or someone will trade up for him

That leaves us with the following players who could be available for us:
    Ingram
    DeCastro
    F Cox
    L Kuechly
    Kirkpatrick
    Mercilus
    Perry

It seems to me if we can engineer a small trade down, say 2-3 spots, we can still land a very good player plus pick up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,676 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    I feel the same way and have been saying it for awhile. It really seems like a year where we could really profit with a move down. It all dpends on how big the tier is we are in when we get close to 14.

I know a lot of us here are hesitant to consider a trade down but IF our pick is approaching and we have a bunch of guys all rated in the same tier, it is absolutely the right thing to do. Otherwise we would basically be giving a way a free and extra 3rd or 4th rounder.

Thsi only happens, if the Cowboys have a buch of guys slotted together that are still on the board. Obviously if they only have a couple left that are way ahead of the rest, they can't get cute and take that risk. Otherwsie, there is no risk.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Whoops, I forgot to include Brockers in the list including DeCastro, Ingram, Perry, Cox, etc.

But it does show you that several very good players will be available to us at 14. So unless the Cowboys are in love with a particular player, I think a small trade down, if possible to engineer, could be beneficial.
  5. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    I heard from someone on this board that they love Ingram, and DeCastro and Cox are right behind. So I am guessing one of these 3 will be around at 14 and they will get picked unless an appealing trade opportunity to move down occurs
  6. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,038 Messages
    2,585 Likes Received
    A few spots are probably ok. I'm a little nervous about the rumor of trading down to 22. However that's not always a bad thing.
  7. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,399 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    don't you think other Teams know the same thing ? Why move up ?
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,508 Likes Received
    depends on what Cleveland would give us. For their 2nd rd pick which is the 37 along with the 22 that would be temping.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,676 Messages
    1,540 Likes Received
    It would be their 22nd and 37th for our 14th and 82nd.

I don't mind the idea of moving down if the top guys we want are gone, or if a buch of them still remain and we are certain to get one.

But dropping all the way down to 22nd would almost surely mean that we drop out of at least one tier and maybe two. At 14 or a few slots above or below, we stand to get a real impact player. At 22, it could be dicier.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I am not sure of Claiborne Woods. I saw a report yesterday that said he would need to have surgery on his hand this year. Depending on the validity and severity of that, it could push him down some.

The other thing is that I would include Martin and Glenn on that list as well.
  11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It was wrist surgery. I've seen reports where Reiff is dropping as well. In a dream world, both Tannehill and Richardson would fall to us, but I don't think it's going to happen.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,038 Messages
    2,585 Likes Received
    And if doing that it depends on who they want and who will be there. I don't know who they have listed as top tier and first rounders or who they have targeted 20-50