1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Charity

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by jnday, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Since this is the season for giving , I have a question . If you had a large sum of money to give to one organization , which charity would it be ? I like St. Judes for all the work they do fo chldren with cancer . What charity and why .
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'd try to keep it on a local level where I can be certain it goes to the recipients of it, like one of the homeless shelters or 'soup kitchens'.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think this is a question you have to ask yourself. I give to several different charities. Some are actual charitable organizations, sometimes it's just me giving to others.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,041 Likes Received
    St. Jude is a good charity.

Myself I give to the Salvation Army in large part because little is spent in administration cost so most of the money goes to help different needs in the US and around the world. From Disaster relief to helping homeless and other people in need.
  5. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'd pick a local animal rescue, one of the smaller ones. They are always in need of basic things like food, cat litter, funds for surgeries of rescued animals, etc.
  6. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,105 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    I'll throw out a couple of suggestions;

Ronald McDonald house, free housing for families experiencing the very worst of times, dealing with very sick children

Make A Wish (brightening the lives of terminally ill children), wonderful people and organization

SPCA (people working tirelessly to help prevent cruelty to animals)

There are many deserving, this is my mini list.
  7. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,041 Likes Received
    Yeah I give to local animal rescue every time I go to Pet Smart here in Houston.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wounded Warrior Project

Semper Fi Fund

Ronald McDonald house is also one I would give to
  9. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,666 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I give to cancer research, disabled vets and the Salvation Army. I'd probably split it between those three.
  10. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,996 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    That is exactly why I give to them, and the Red Cross as well.

If you do a little research, you might be surprised at how much some of the higher ups of some of the charity organizations make.

DAV, Campus Crusade for ******, Teen Challenge, Young Life, Easter Seals, World Missions, .. I don't give a lot, but I give a little to many.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You mentioned one of my biggest concerns . I still remember when the higher ups of the United Way was exposed for waste of the organizations funds . I couldn't live with myself knowing that I was blowing money that was intended to help those in need .
  12. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I've always felt that donating locally is best, even if you are donating to large organizations. Even going to the local chapters of the Salvation Army and other similar nationwide organizations would seem better to me.
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,996 Messages
    1,293 Likes Received
    Our company has a big push every year for all of us to donate to United Way, ... I stopped a long time ago because of this reason and I heard the CEO makes a pretty good salary.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The company that I used to work for made it clear that you were expected to donate to the United Way through payroll deduction . They used our donations for PR in the local papers and such . When the story broke about the misuse of funds , we went from about a 90% contribution rate to 30% . Even after the company applied pressue to the workers , they could never break the 50% participation mark . This is ashame that a few of the higher ups damaged the reputation of an organization in such a way .
  15. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    National Autistic Society in honor of my son and the SPCA
  16. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,041 Likes Received
    Same here. I want to help but when I do I want to make sure my donation is actually helping those in need.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As of 2010:

• As of 2010, Marsha J. Evans, was no longer employed by the American Red Cross. According to United Press International, Gail McGovern took over as CEO of the American Red Cross in 2008 at an annual salary of $500,000 plus a signing bonus of $65,000.
    • Brian Gallagher is still President and CEO of United Way, and currently earns $1,037,140 a year, according to a December 2010 report from the American Institute of Philanthropy.
    • W. Todd Bassett is no longer National Commander of the Salvation Army. The current National Commander, Israel L. Gaither, is paid somewhere between $79,389 and $243,248 annually for his services. (Since the Salvation Army, as a religious organization, doesn't report its expenses to the IRS, the only available figures for executive salaries are estimates, which vary greatly from source to source.)
    • UNICEF's Executive Director, Anthony Lake, earns $201,351 a year, according to a 2010 communique from the organization.
    • Dave Toycen, the President of World Vision Canada, earns $184,000 per year plus a "moderate vehicle allowance," according to that organization's annual report to the Canada Revenue Agency. Again, that is significantly less than what is claimed above.

As a side note, when W. Todd Bassett was over the Salvation Army, his salary was $13,000 a year.

All that said. I don't have a problem with a CEO of one of these large charities earning a nice paycheck if they earn it. (in the $250k range) I mean it can be a very difficult job sometimes. None of them earn $500k to a $1M a year as a few of them do. The money is going to the wrong place.
  18. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,295 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Local food bank.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are a lot of worthy causes that is for sure and a lot of them do good things.

Boy Scouts is where I would put my money for several reason. One I am now on year 8 of being a Boy Scout Volunteer and I have seen the effects on boys life and how we have helped change some boys life in a positive way. Teaching them how to be a leader, responsibility, dedication and the values they try to instill. I could go on and on but I will just leave at that.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,344 Messages
    4,484 Likes Received
    I donate to several whenever the occasion not necessarily around Christmas. But the biggest donation I make every year is to the local food bank. It's local and they do a great job.