1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Charles Haley misses the cut again

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

33,524 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705480/charles-haley-misses-the-cut-again

What more does Charles Haley have to do?

The man has won five Super Bowl titles, three with the Dallas Cowboys and two with the San Francisco 49ers. When he left the 49ers for the Cowboys, it changed the power structure of the NFC.

Somehow, Haley wasn't elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday night.

Instead, two other men with Cowboys' ties, Larry Allen and Bill Parcells, will get to make a speech in Canton, Ohio.

What about Haley?

He finished his career with 100.5 career sacks, was a five-time Pro Bowler and a first-team All-Pro twice. A dominant force.

Haley has been a finalist for the Hall of Fame four times, including this year, but has never garnered enough votes to get in.
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He got jobbed.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,392 Messages
    1,250 Likes Received
    I stopped caring about the HOF many moons ago. It's a joke.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,242 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Haley, IMO, is a product of his own behavior. Haley was a great player IMO. Unfortunately, for Haley, as great a player as he was, he was just as big of a JackWagon and perhaps even more so of the latter with the Press. Like it or not, Haley has life long enemies in the sports media world and in Pro Football. He's going to pay for that, fair or not.
  5. plymkr

plymkr Member

96 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I like Haley and think he should be in the hall at some point. What bothers me about Haley is not that he's not in the HOF but that he's in the Ring of Honor. I feel he should be in the Ring of Honor but not before Darren Woodson. I think it's a crime that Haley got there and Woodson is not. Darren Woodson was the heart and soul of the Cowboys on the defensive side for years. He was a leader both on and off the field, with his play and his words. Nothing against Haley but Woodson deserves to be in the Ring of Honor more than Haley and I would argue in the HOF more than Haley. Woodson is under appreciated.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You can throw stats and media commentary out the window.

INHO, Charles Haley was the best DE ever to play the game.

He was the key piece in Frisco and in Dallas that allowed the LBs and S playing behind him to do what they do.

The media are hating on him now because he made a career of hating on the media.

Him not making it is reason enuogh to change the baised voting format.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,923 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Charles Haley was a first-class, grade-A, unsoliticed S.O.B.

The stories about him will curdle your blood. So disgusting, I can't write them here. Completely unfathomable. Some of the most disturbing things I've ever read. Hard to believe, frankly.

When you treat people like trash, and do the kind of unspeakable acts he did in the locker room, you get pushed aside for any convenient reason.

One year, there'll be a weak class of new entries, and he'll get in. Until then, he'll always get passed over.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,214 Messages
    787 Likes Received
    HAley was right up there but GOAT? Frankly I think Harvey Martin was just as good. Reggie White would considered better by many.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

33,242 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Lee Roy Selmon, Howie Long, I'd even say that Peppers and Ware might end up being better.

That's just my own short list of guys that have not been mentioned but Haley was a great player in his own right. No question.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Appreciate the enthusiasm for the home town player, but Charles Haley, while a very good player, wasn't as good as at least 6 DEs that I can think of right off the top of my head:

Reggie White
    Deacon Jones
    Bruce Smith
    Chris Doleman
    Richard Dent
    Ricky Jackson

I have Charles in the 'Hall of the Very Good' along with:

Simeon Rice
    Clyde Simmons
    Neil Smith
    Leslie O'Neil
    Dexter Manley

The one thing that seperates him from the other guys I have listed in the Hall of the Very Good is rings -- lots of them. The counter arguement to that is that a number of those guys had MUCH better stats (sacks) than Charles Haley.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,923 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Hmmm. Well, Rickey Jackson was a linebacker first of all. And Simeon Rice, Neil Smith, Leslie O'Neil were very good players, but there've been many defensive ends better than those guys. I'd put Haley above them.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,389 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    I got a feeling Haley isnt loved personally by alot of writers going back to his playing days. One of the best pure pass rushers I ever saw and might have had the best inside counter move ever.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

33,242 Messages
    926 Likes Received

I thought Charles Mann was better then Dexter myself. Hard to say just how good Simmons could have been.