1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chat: George: Cowboys scouting department more on ‘same page’ in draft room

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    Excellent post. We certainly don't lack the talent but we do lack the mental toughness, leadership on the offense & defense, etc. That comes from a culture that Jerry has created. He doesn't let his coaches control their teams, he meddles too much, etc. Also, I feel some of our veterans don't know how to lead out there.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,883 Messages
    8,980 Likes Received
    I strongly disagree. We lack talent. At the most critical areas on the field.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,646 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    You forgot to mention Carpenter, and well that entire draft I think except Hatcher was awful.
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,229 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    He is the one that hires the scouts and the folks that do all the assessing of draft picks.

Jerry allows some decisions to be made by coaches, but overall he is in charge and for the last 17 years, he has stunk. Period. You remove him from being the GM and hire a real GM and you will see a difference.
  5. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,329 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Watching Ware in that game was painful, doubt Butler would´ve played worse, IMO he shouldn´t have been in there.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    Passing on Mendy was no big deal. The problem with taking Felix is that we could have taken a player at another position that year because it was amazingly deep at RB. We could have had Ray Rice or Jamaal Charles or Forte outside of Round 1. Anyway, I thought Jerry was the one who had the real love for Felix.

Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant may turn out to be great picks in the long term.

I doubt very seriously Garrett pushed hard for Marty B. He was not HC and Marty is a bit nuts, so I can't see JG influencing that one.
  7. ufcrules1

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I actually agree with you on this. I misspoke in my other post. There were times we didn't lack the talent but now we do lack some talent on the oline, dline, and at safety.

But going back to my other post. Even if we beefed up our lines with more talented players, we still have a poor culture here of weak minded players, weak coaching, and a bad owner who meddles too much in the draft and the day to day decisions of the coaching. He also refuses to let players go when they are no longer useful/worth what we are paying them. He is too emotionally invested.

We also have veteran talent who don't know how to lead. I'm hoping players like Lee, Carter, Carr, etc can be the vocal leaders this team needs and can motivate the future rookies that come in here to get fired up and play with pride out there.

We desperately need team unity and swagger. Ravens had it, 49'ers had it, Atlanta had it, and so on.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    He has in the past and to be honest that's not even necessary.

You have a room full of scouts and the vast majority thinks a guy sucks while only a couple disagree and think he's a good player. Jerry (or whoever has final say) likes the kid and picks him. He hasn't done any scouting at all, has listened to the scouts and picked a player based on their input. Sounds great, right?

Yeah, until you find out that for whatever reason the guy took the vast majority of opinion and completely disregarded it.

This not even considering the angle that pertains to who hires the scouts in the first place so any fault that repeated falls to the scouts doesn't exactly make a shining statement for the HR department who put them there.
  9. ufcrules1

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I completely agree but Ware has a better name than Butler. That is how it works here right now. Ware knowing he was hurt bad should have stepped up and said "Hey, put Butler in, I'm in too much pain and can't produce like I need to". That would be doing the right thing for the team.
  10. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,329 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    I agree, but that´s the competitive nature in pro bowl players, the "they´ll have to drag me out of this field" kind of statements, that´s where Garrett or Ryan come in, they should have pulled him after seeing he wasn´t good enough to play that day.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    The responsibility lies with the coaching staff who are supposed to make judgements based on something other than emotion.

Great Players like Ware will always try and do more then they actually can. THAT is where GOOD coaches should step it
  12. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    they had a really good debate about this topic (not ware specifcally but about injured players suiting up for games) on Pardon the Interruption. It would of have been a huge backlash if people saw Ware sitting on the sidelanes in the final games of the season when we had a chance to win the NFCE. As injured he was I think it was Wilbon who said he has to suit up regardless because of what management, coaches, and his teammates would see him as being soft and not a teamplayer. He used Jay Cutler back in 09 as an example and Urlacher as another for this year. I completely agree however about if he was plagued with injuries, I feel he should of told the coaching staff to sit him because it doesn't matter how good or elite you are you simply cannot get it done with 1 arm and I still feel he was doing more harm then good.

and I know what some of you may be thinking player "X" had "Y" injury and was still effective! That may be true but that is more the exception then the rule, not to mention Ware had 3 major injuries.
  13. ufcrules1

7,091 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    I agree with that but a truly smart player will also know when to take himself off the field. Its the fault of both the player and the coaches.
  14. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    More the fault of the coaches since they are supposed to be older and more knowledgeable about the situation. And they are the FINAL authority
  15. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,248 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I like this response. You understand that we are not as talented as the media would lead you to believe
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

And the people critical of Parcells.....you should be livid about Phillips and Garrett if you think Parcells did a poor job

Let me know when one of them drafts and develops a HOF quality player. Keep in mind the develop part. Would Ware or Witten have been as good as they were without the tutelage of a HOF coach?
  17. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

923 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    Do you really give Wade most of the blame for the drafts during his stay here?
  18. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

923 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    The problem is when your giving up picks,to move up in the draft,to draft players at positions that you failed at in previous drafts,well it takes it's toll.
    1.Those draft picks your giving up help add talent and depth to your team.
    2.When you draft a guy at a position,and he doesn't quite live up to where you took him,or he's a bust.You find yourself 3-4 yrs.later,having to redraft at that position,when you could be filling other needs.
    3.When you have a whole draft where you get nothing,(2009 draft),that can set you back quite a bit.
    Now take a guy like Anthony Spencer.He had his best season as a pro this past year.Now if Anthony Spencer leaves,because you can't afford him,or if you keep him,and he doesn't transition well to the 4-3 defense.Then you basically got 1 real good year,from a #1 draft pick,in which you had to give up extra picks,to move up and get him.
    I know this is all old stuff,and no one wants to relive it.I just feel that has been their draft,and depth problems.
    Jerry needs to listen to his scouts.Stay where he's at in the draft,and take the best player available.If they do that,they will be fine.
  19. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Did someone in this thread seriously say Garrett is CLEANING UP THE MESS PARCELLS LEFT?

Really?

Really?!

I've officially seen it all in CZ.
  20. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    bhendri and a couple of others have this fantasy that wade was actually good for us