1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cheney apologizes for West Virginia inbreeding joke

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cheney apologizes after West Virginia joke

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney threw a verbal insult at West Virginians on Monday, but quickly apologized.

Talking about his family roots and how he's distantly related to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, the vice president noted that he had Cheneys on both sides of his family.

"And we don't even live in West Virginia," Cheney quipped.

"You can say those things when you're not running for re-election."

West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin, a Democrat, quickly asked Cheney to apologize.

"I truly cannot believe that any vice president of the United States, regardless of their political affiliation, would make such a derogatory statement about my state or any state for that matter," he said.

Cheney's comment denounced

On Capitol Hill, Cheney's comment was denounced by both Democrats and Republicans.

"This is exactly the type of stereotyping that we don't need from our elected officials," said Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va. "It's disrespectful, and it's certainly not funny. ... As a proud state, I can say we are disappointed."

Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., blasted Cheney, saying that for a vice president to openly display "such contempt and astounding ignorance toward his own countrymen" was an insult to all Americans.

"Now that he or the administration he represents no longer needs their vote, Mr. Cheney apparently feels that he is now free to mock and belittle the people of West Virginia," Byrd said.

"The vice president's offhand comment was not meant to hurt anyone," Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride said later Monday. "On reflection, he concluded that it was an inappropriate attempt at humor that he should not have made. The vice president apologizes to the people of West Virginia for the inappropriate remark."

In a question-and-answer session after giving a speech at the National Press Club, Cheney said also joked that he wouldn't object to a family reunion with Obama, but said he didn't think the candidate would be up for one — "at least not before November."

"He'd probably be fearful I might whisper in his ear and change his whole view of the Middle East," Cheney said.

He said that when his wife, Lynne, was doing research on a book, she discovered that his grandmother was descended from a man named Richard Cheney. "So I had Cheneys on both sides of the family," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24939201/
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Brain, oh Brain where for art thou??????

:D
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    After hearing and watching some interviews out of WV before the primary there, I don't doubt what he said is true. :D
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    Used to live near West Virginia and it IS true.
  5. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WV was founded by and still is comprised largely of Scots-Irish(Ulster Scots) lineage and they tend to be stubbornly independent and stick together being somewhat distru****l of others. The idea today of there being rampant inbreeding, I think, isn't really fair. Do distant cousins occasionally marry? Sure, but most of the world doesn't consider that taboo. This culture has been unfairly stereotyped and even discriminated against since they arrived on these shores. I'm not claiming this is the most progressive state in the Union by any stretch; it's underdeveloped economically and the educational system is commensurate so they do need to move forward. But there is a legacy of prejudice against these folks, and it doesn't violate any pc doctrines to do so. They're fair game. But their history is also extraordinary and honorable one; any research into the Scots-Irish in America documents that very thoroughly. Some disclosure is appropriate-- my Scots-Irish Grandfather landed in Virgina in 1696 so I'm not exactly gonna come on here and trash them there hillbillies over yonder.

Leave WV alone!
  6. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Speaking from experience I see.

Not surprising really.
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,732 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Dick's best "work" was always done via whispers...
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    OK I was out on a date with my cousin Daisy, what did I miss? :p:
  9. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Is your other cousin wise to this? Jealousy can be a volatile emotion...:lmao:

:scram:
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    How dare Cheney doesn't he know that WV is one of the 57 states? :lmao:
  11. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    *sigh*
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    When Cheney heard the 57 states remark he thought Obama said 57 steaks and Cheney piped up with...yes please.:laugh2:
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Better than being in Iraq for 100 years.

:laugh2:
  14. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Why not we have been in Europe and Asia for 60 years
  15. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Well what do you want me to say Cheney is not running for office, his political career is coming to an end. He made a joke if people want to fuss about it fine I have no problem with that.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Brilliant...it's a plan.