1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chicago Bears Trick Punt Return

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by yimyammer, Sep 27, 2011.

1. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,016 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Did anyone see this? Pretty clever but of course a holding penalty wipes it out

[youtube]o_4kiIp-dXw[/youtube]
  2. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,819 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    I saw it. Never saw anything like that. To bad a holding call not even remotely related to the play negated it.

Clever. Very clever.
  3. urface59

urface59 Active Member

1,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Whats sad is the guy they called holding never touched anyone
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    2,896 Likes Received
    Yea, talk about a phanom flag.

I see the Packers are starting to get the "Pittsburgh" treatment by the refs.
  5. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    what i dont understand is how the kicking team isnt aware of what direction the kicker was supposed to kick the ball
  6. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Well-Known Member

1,454 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    actually that is not true. It was holding. There was a picture of it posted on the internet. Whether or not it would have affected the play or not I doubt it. But Bush had his jersey pulled by the guy immediately after the snap. All the pictures shown on TV were long after it occurred. It was an awesome play though.
  7. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    They may set up a directional punt, but punters can and do shank the punt sometimes. The coverage team can't watch the ball when they're running down the field. Add to it that this is Devin Hester they're punting to, of course they're going to follow him.

Great play though. I had to rewind it about 5 times it was so good. That "hold" was very early on in the play, and it was a ticky tack call. The Bears could have been an onside kick away from tying the game/taking the lead. Damn refs.
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    i dont doubt any of that but to not have anybody over there is just crazy
  9. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    There are certain plays that are so awesome that they should negate flags on grounds of how awesome they were.
  10. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    As a punter you are supposed tell the team which direction you plan to kick before the snap. Also after you are supposed to yell which direction you kicked it. (This is what I was taught as my high school's punter, I know I know high school isn't the NFL, but I'm just relating it) Granted I'm sure it isn't always possible to hear at times. They need to realize where the ball is heading. The coverage team needs to man up with everyone on the opposing team, meaning that every opponent needs to be accounted for.

It was well done by the Bears. Sadly they wasted the attempt and now others will be aware of the possibility.
  11. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Very valid points. Too bad the Bears wasted it.
  12. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    no doubt it wasted the plays value. But it may open up more lanes for Hester. Opponents racing down the field may have to take a split second longer before committing to pursuing Hester. Just a split second can make a huge difference if a critical lane opens up.
  13. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,614 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Cool play, yet listening to Joe Buck you woulda thought it was a run for a two yard gain, what a d-bag. God I hope the mlb playoffs/world series all go 7 games so he.s gone as long as possible.
  14. Gibby!

Gibby! Pom Pom Waving Shill

1,508 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Yep, this play only works with a threat like Hester back there. I didn't count exactly, but there were like two guys on Knox's side of the field.

Still cool though. Shame about the flag.