1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

China lists Olympic rules for foreigners

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by PosterChild, Jun 11, 2008.

1. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BEIJING, China (AP) -- Foreigners attending the Beijing Olympics better behave -- or else.
    [IMG]People are shown in late April walking past a sign in Beijing warning foreigners.

[IMG]

The Beijing Olympic organizing committee issued a stern, nine-page document Monday that covers 57 topics. Written in Chinese only and posted on the official Web site, the guide covers everything from a ban on sleeping outdoors to the need for government permission to stage a protest.
    Visitors also should know this:

Those with "mental diseases" or contagious conditions will be barred.

Some parts of the country are closed to visitors -- one of them Tibet.

Olympic tickets are no guarantee of a visa to enter China.

Fearing protests during the August 8-24 Olympics, China's government has tightened controls on visas and residence permits for foreigners. It has also promised a massive security presence at the games, which may include undercover agents dressed as volunteers.

The guide said Olympic ticket holders "still need to visit China embassies and consulates and apply for visas according to the related rules."
    The government hopes to keep out activists and students who might stage pro-Tibet rallies that would be broadcast around the world. It also fears protests over China's oil and arms trade with Sudan, and any disquiet from predominantly Muslim regions in western China.

"In order to hold any public gathering, parade or protest the organizer must apply with the local police authorities. No such activity can be held unless a permit is given. ... Any illegal gatherings, parades and protests and refusal to comply are subject to administrative punishments or criminal prosecution."

The document also warns against the display of insulting slogans or banners at any sports venue. It also forbids any religious or political banner at an Olympic venue that "disturbs the public order."
    The guidelines seem to clash with a pledge made two month ago by International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge, who said athletes could exercise freedom of speech in China. He asked only that athletes refrain from making political statements at certain official Olympics venues.
    "Freedom of expression is something that is absolute," Rogge said in Beijing in April. "It's a human right. Athletes have it."

The detailed document is titled: "A guide to Chinese law for Foreigners coming to, leaving or staying in China during the Olympics." This appears under the slogan of the Beijing Olympics: "One World, One Dream."
    For months Chinese authorities denied there had been any change to visa regulations, but recently acknowledged that rules had been amended. The changes may have little affect on some of the 500,000 foreigners expected to visit for the Olympics, many of whom will come on package tours with visas already arranged. PosterChild for President.

The rules published Monday say entry will be denied to those "who might conduct acts of terrorism, violence and government subversion ... and those who might engage in activities endangering China's national security and national interest."

The rules also bar entry to smugglers, drug traffickers, prostitutes and those with "mental diseases" or contagious conditions.
    The document also warns foreigners that not all areas of the country are open to visitors. One such area is Tibet, which is also off limits to journalists.

"Not all of China is open to foreigners, and they shall not go to any venue not open to them," the statement said.
    The guide also spells out a long list of items that cannot be brought into the country, including weapons, imitation weapons, ammunition, explosives, counterfeit currency, drugs and poisons. It also prohibits the entry of materials "that are harmful to China's politics, economics, culture and morals".

Foreigners staying with Chinese residents in urban areas must register at a local police station within 24 hours of arriving. The limit in rural areas is 72 hours.
    [IMG]
    The guide also threatens criminal prosecution against anyone "who burns, defaces ... insults or tramps on the national flag or insignia."
    For those planning on sleeping outdoors to save a little money -- forget it. This is banned to "maintain public hygiene and the cultured image of the cities."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/06/03/oly.foreigners.ap/index.html
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, I was listening to this on NPR last week.

If After reading this article, you are not proud to live in a free country where you can do whatever the heck you won't, then I don't know what to say.
  3. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I enjoyed the article myself. A closer read will reveal why...anyway, it's a nice little break from election politics. I've hardly even thought about the upcoming games but I'm sure I'll get into it once they ensue. I'm especially looking forward to the armored tank obstacle course, where naturally, the competitors must duck and dodge ChiCom tanks in the town square.
  4. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I'll stay home and not watch it on tv instead.
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    That's my plan. :D
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,800 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    And we still get more abuse on human rights then they do.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,252 Messages
    2,453 Likes Received
    Hmmm...

An endorsement form CNN. Congratulations.;)
  8. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,134 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received

Susan Sarandon and Barbara Streisand recently bought real estate there. :D
  9. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ding Ding Ding LOL

I sometimes wonder if the fine citizens of CZ closely read these articles before discussing...I conducted my own little experiment. I probably should have chosen a more captivating story to be fair but still...

Congrats!
    :laugh2:
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How did China get the Olympics again? It should have gone to Paris.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,618 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Paris was up for the 2012 games and lost to London.

Peking got the 2008 games because it lost the 2000 ones to Sydney.
  12. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Paris was third for the 08 games.
  13. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This Summer Olympics is going to be terrible. Mark my words. This Olympics will go down as one of the least attended in history and least watched across the world.

Well....maybe not if the China military forces the populace by bayonet to attend.

Personally, I will not be watching it, sad - I know. Just my way of saying F U China.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,571 Likes Received
    I have not watched an Olympics since the 80's. For whatever reason I just have not found them of much interest other than Basketball.
  15. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I will watch the olympics.

I always do.

And I will watch the opening ceremony, because really, this nonsense of not watching it/not attending it is pure B.S.

It will do nothing more than complicate matters with China (and their sensitive, nationalist population). Additionally, it does not accomplish anything. Unless of course, you are just looking to pat yourself on the back.

China deserves criticism for a great deal of things (human rights, Darfur, Burma, nationalism, etc)....but boycotting the olympics is epic failure.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

Least attended? LOL...

China's population is huge. That alone assures them high attendance. And they won't need to be forced to go. They will show up willingly.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,571 Likes Received
    I am not watching it as some symbolic gesture or to pat myself on the back. I just don't find much interest in it and have not in a long time.
  18. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I know.
  19. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

China has a huge population? GET OUT !!! :rolleyes:
  20. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    You seemed confused when you said least attended Olympics ever.

Thought maybe you were confusing Taiwan and China, or something like that.

Their citizens will flock to this like none other. Its a very proud moment for the Chinese.