1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

China's Response to Bush: Don't Interfere in Our Affairs

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    BEIJING — President Bush is eagerly awaiting the start of the Summer Olympics, making history as the first president to attend this world athletic competition on foreign soil.

But his arrival in Beijing Thursday night on the eve of the opening of the games came amid an atmosphere of tension with China's
    leaders over his high-profile speech in Thailand exhorting the growing world power to grant more freedom to its people.

Bush, first lady Laura Bush and their daughter Barbara came off Air Force One together, where they got a red-carpet greeting from Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi and others, and then sped away in a motorcade.

Bush, an avid sports fan, has said he wants to enjoy the Summer Olympics competition, but also will talk to President Hu Jintao about human rights and a host of other bilateral issues.

Before his plane landed here, China's Foreign Ministry released a terse statement saying that no one should interfere with China's internal affairs.

Bush plans to attend the opening ceremony of the Olympics on Friday night and go to a series of sporting events through Monday, including U.S. basketball and baseball games against China. Although he exhorted Beijing to improve human rights in a major speech in Thailand before flying here, Bush has said he is intent on making his Olympics visit about sports, not politics.

In a speech outlining America's achievements and challenges in Asia, Bush had pushed Thursday for a free press, free assembly and labor rights in China, and spoke out sharply against its detentions of political dissidents, human rights advocates and religious activists. He said he wasn't trying to antagonize China, but called such reform the only path the potent U.S. rival can take to reach its full potential.

He antagonized the Chinese anyway, setting the stage for an interesting reception when he attends the opening ceremonies Friday evening and meets with Hu on Sunday after attending church.

"The Chinese government puts people first, and is dedicated to maintaining and promoting its citizens basic rights and freedom," Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said Thursday in response to Bush's speech. "Chinese citizens have freedom of religion. These are indisputable facts."

He said China advocates discussions on differing views on human rights and religions on "a basis of mutual respect and equality," then indicated it didn't see Bush's criticism in that light.

"We firmly oppose any words or acts that interfere in other countries' internal affairs, using human rights and religion and other issues," Qin said.

Bush did offer praise for China's market reforms. "Change in China will arrive on its own terms and in keeping with its own history and its own traditions," he said. "Yet, change will arrive."

Bush has been trying to walk a tightrope in attending the games, wanting to avoid causing Beijing embarrassment during its two weeks on the world stage while also coming under pressure to use his visit to openly press China's leaders for greater religious tolerance and other freedoms. Chinese officials bristled when he met with Chinese activists at the White House last week.

"With this speech, Bush is trying to address two polar issues: easing the controversy created by those who oppose his visit during the Games and simultaneously maintaining America's strategy with China," said Yan Xuetong, an expert in U.S.-China relations at Beijing's prestigious Tsinghua University.

Making the repression issue timely, China has rounded up opponents ahead of the Olympics and slapped restrictions on journalists, betraying promises made when it landed the hosting rights.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd urged the international community "to speak with a strong and united voice" to maintain pressure on China over human rights. But he conceded Beijing's record has improved.

"Remember, it was not all that long ago they were in the middle of the cultural revolution with people getting put up against a wall and basically knocked off," he told Nine Network television before flying to Beijing.

The White House's handling of the speech demonstrated the president's delicate balancing act. Bush's address containing the criticism of China was delivered outside the country, in Thailand. The White House took the unusual step of releasing the text of it even earlier, about 18 hours before he spoke.

And the speech was followed by a string of events Thursday, by both the president and his wife, that were clearly aimed at shifting the focus to the repressive military regime in Myanmar, neighbor to Thailand, where Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej regards himself as a friend of Myanmar's generals. Myanmar, also known as Burma, marks the 20th anniversary of a brutal crackdown on pro-democracy activists on Friday.

In his speech Thursday, Bush also urged North Korea to live up to its promise to dismantle its nuclear weapons, adding: "The United States will continue to insist that the regime in Pyongyang end its harsh rule and respect the dignity and human rights of the North Korean people."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399163,00.html
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,147 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    trickblue's response to China: Quit sending your cheap-arse lead-laced products to the US...
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,773 Messages
    6,169 Likes Received
    BP's response to TB's response to China.

Quit send jobs to and buying cheap-arse stuff from China.:laugh2:
  4. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    We the public buy it. Stop buying their goods
  5. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bush is just wagging his lips it doesnt really mean anything. China knows it too. Thats why they are wagging their lips back. The money will continue to flow...the jobs will continue to transfer and the energy will continue to be consumed.
    Nothing will change...its ok everybody..the parents are just putting on a show for the kids...they still love each other...Back to your comfy couch and your friendly Olympic programming. Watch your one eyed brainwasher and always remember..BUY BUY BUY :D
  6. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    And we will continue to do business with China regardless if Obama or McCain win the White House. I know that does not fit your bash Bush agenda but it is the reality
  7. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I dont support either one...I think they are two sides of the same coin produced by the two political parties that have ruled this country like mafioso in some form or another for hundreds of years. Its good cop, bad cop..giving each poltical power just long enough to help the REAL constituents get their agenda through.
    In a two party political system WE ALL lose. The SYSTEM is broken..corroded by special interest...indemnic corruption..fraud..scandal.
    And like fish who already forgot what the other side of the tank looked like we continue to swim back and forth and back and forth making the same two stupid choices over and over again....they got you by the short ones buddy...and they know it...and they aint ever gonna change nothin..till they have to.
  8. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    Yeah and a 3rd party would not be influenced by special interest right? Looking at how we live in this country I don't think we are that bad off. If you look throughout history everyone has a bone to pick with politicians and Government in general and while ours is not perfect I think the vast majority in this country have it pretty damn good in comparison. Maybe it is just our nature to whine and complain
  9. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

7,165 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    So what would you do to solve this ?
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,773 Messages
    6,169 Likes Received
    Ever seen the movie King Ralph?

I think it is time to get a group photo of everyone on the hill. :D
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ah, but you're too clever for them. You see through all the lies, deception, and manipulation. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to fool you.

*plonk*
  12. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

7,165 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    Never heard of it Brain ? But I did notice that Hottie (self proclaimed) Paris Hilton is now running for President....So we do have a 3rd option. :)
  13. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My nature? It should be yours too..only fools are satisfied..thats how we got this far.
    As for influence...yes there will be influence if you have sixty parties because influence is one person convincing another.
    I think we need to institute a more direct democracy. Alot of the problems in our society are incubated and given birth by our Laissez-Faire attitude toward our democracy. Give your vote then move on.."let them handle it"
    THIS is your country..and you completely trust these carpet baggers to uphold your best interest?
    Now, I am not saying that the people should be responsible for EVERY decision. That is unreasonable and impractical however if we are able to effect change through direct vote then we will be given responsibility, true ownership. If we understand the issues because our decisions will change things then we will have a better grasp of the secondary and tertiary movements of our government.
    Right now we just cast one vote for one person in a two party representative system and leave it at that. Then we wonder why things are so messed up. The lobbyists and interests giggle..we make it easy for them the TRUE constituents.

http://www.nationalinitiative.us/
  14. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    Oh please you could add 15 other parties and you people would still be whining and the lure of money would still have an effect on some people in any party. More does not mean better.

I think as a nation we should always strive for better but frankly what I hear from folks like you is constant whining and stupid conspiracy theories.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,839 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    that will only stop when North Americans stop buying that crap.
  16. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    I agree with you. Consumers should take some responsibility in what they buy.
  17. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  18. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    There is no need to show me your family pictures. :laugh2:
  19. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I thought since reading comprehension is not strength of yours, pictures may be a more suitable rebuttal. However I have been let down again.
  20. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    Keep on with all the conspiracy theories threads they make for a good laugh especially knowing someone who actually believes the BS.

PT Barnum would have loved you and you do prove his theory correct that a sucker is born every minute.