1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Choice said he rooted for the young backs despite the competition at the position

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 5, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/

Choice said he rooted hard for Lonyae Miller and Phillip Tanner, as well as starter Felix Jones and rookie DeMarco Murray, while trying to help the young backs.

"It’s like they [the media] was wanting to make us against each other, but I’m their biggest fan," Choice said of the team's young backs. "Ask 34, ask Lonyae, ask any running back here who’s the one who’s always trying to help them become a better running back. It’s me. I’m like that with everybody. That’s just how I am.

"…It’s not right to do that, though. Don’t put the success of somebody else against somebody. That’s not good. We all compete. Love it. I love getting back out there, but I love those guys when they do well. They deserve it."

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/#ixzz1X7mc9k69
  2. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Choice was always a good locker room guy... I dont understand how so many soured on him. Asking for a autograph? ....the Fumble against Washington?
  3. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,030 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Aww someone give Choice an award.

It takes a big man to announce he helped the younger players, sometimes its difficult to really reach around and pat yourself on the back.
  4. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Why i don’t believe in the “attitude” claim. The guy has always shown to be a great team mate. I think Choice is still there because of Jerry.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,416 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    First rule of hating one your team's players is to have another player at that same position you like better. Most Cowboys fans didn't hate on Romo until Kitna came in last year and played well. Hating Choice is easy for most because of Felix and now Murray and Tanner's popularity of the moment.

Hating Bennett is easy because of Witten and Phillips with the latter getting real popular last preseason prior to the injury. Hating Roy Williams because Miles Austin became a player and then last year adding Bryant. Hating Colombo because Doug Free became a player. Hating Spencer because Butler has been getting sacks in limited play.

It's very easy to predict really. If you see a backup player do well, it's almost a war cry for regular knee-jerk fans to jump off one bandwagon and on to another.

#reality
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,331 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,334 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    I love rooting for guys who are going to take my job...
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,238 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    You should, .. especially if you believe you are better than they are.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,966 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Choice knows that if the Cowboys were to cut him, he'd have his choice of job offers within 24 hours. Makes the rooting easier, imo.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,334 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    That is the exact wrong attitude to have when competing for a job :laugh2: I'm not saying hate the guy, but if you're in a battle for a spot, you want to succeed and see him fail if I'm not mistaken.
  11. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,047 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    And the Choice hatred continues..... Bravo for simply being a good supportive teammate TC. I see you working.
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Love the guy because of the heart he plays with but they gotta trade him, for his own benefit. He'll never crack the rotation here with the Cowboys invested in Felix and DeMarco.
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,238 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I was only talking about Choice, .. I thought you were too.

I understand if you were talking about the everyday workplace.

But I would NEVER want a teammate to fail. EVER!

I don't follow that thinking at all.
  14. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,587 Messages
    344 Likes Received
  15. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    rabble-rouser ;)
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,587 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Anybody who is a competitor thinks the same way, whether they admit it publicly or not.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Fail in the sense that he's not taking your spot, yes. Not fail when he's in the game.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,562 Messages
    2,737 Likes Received
    I can't decide if I like TC more than he bugs me, or he bugs me more than I like him. Whenever I hear him actually talk, I really like him.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,334 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    I am talking about Choice...but I think it translates to other scenarios. I want to do better than someone else, that doesn't necessarily mean rooting for them to fail, but it does mean that every time they run for a touchdown with no helmet on, I grimace a little bit.

I'll reiterate that I don't mean it's rooting for a teammate to fail. Instead it's about rooting for me and the other guy's success is secondary.