1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chris Ivory RFA Lookout

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by da_whiz_kid, Jan 19, 2013.

1. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Chris Ivory RFA Lookout

How does everybody feel about Chris Ivory being acquired by Dallas to come in and play behind Demarco Murray. He was undrafted, so I don't think picks would be used to acquire him. I'm still a little iffy about how restricted free agents work, but I believe NO would have to match whatever we offer him if they want to keep him.

From the limited times he came in and played, he always made something happened. He has a solid 5.1 ypc average and was my favorite back on the Saints. I feel he is very underrated, and Dallas should definitely take a look at him, as I think he is more than serviceable.

I still think Dallas should draft a running back this year, even if they were to acquire a back.

How does the zone feel about this possible acquisition?
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like his running style and game. Not sure with RFA either.
  3. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    At this point I'd take any RB with a decent track record, a light injury history, and a pulse.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,200 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    It just depends on what tender the Saints assign to him.

If everyone remembers, we gave Austin a second round tender and it kept a lot of teams away.
  5. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind him at all. There is a good chance the saints let him go because they already have Sproles, Ingram, and Thomas.
  6. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    This is what I figured as they are pretty stacked at the RB position. He should be good insurance and an upgrade over Tanner and Dunbar.
  7. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Got this from a saints message board about Ivory:

"We will likely get nothing for him. The FO will not want to pay him the 2-3 million for the 2nd or 1st round tender, leaving them the options of A) the original round tender, which is zero draft pick compensation to us because he was an UDFA B) sign and trade, but he has zero motivation to cooperate with this process after the way the club has handled his playing time and the appeal of free agency which is option C) they make no offer to him and he simply becomes an unrestricted free agent."
  8. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    He would be an option but only if he came cheap. We're looking for a serviceable backup, so I'd much rather go the late round or udfa route and spend the money in acquiring a good interior lineman in free agency.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,780 Likes Received

It would be terrific if they don't Tender him an offer. It appears that the tender would be 1.33M.

The Saints have carried 4 RBs on the roster this year with all 4 getting some starts.

Chris Ivory (Saints, 3 years, 8 starts, 2 starts in 2012, 1307 yards, 5.1 ave)
    Age 24
    Height: 5114
    Weight: 222
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.48
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 36
    Broad Jump: 09'11"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.60
    3-Cone Drill: 7.20
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    He's an option, but I think we can find a similar RB in the draft or undrafted. Pretty much all the Saints RB do pretty well behind their o-line, so it won't matter if comes here and we can't block.
  11. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    true.
  12. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    It appears Saints fans think he'll be let go. Not bad measureables.
  13. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I think if we could get him cheap and get that line fixed, we could still draft a RB to go along with the other two, as it has yet to be seen if Murray will stay healthy for a season in his still young career. Good insurance, just in case.
  14. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    The evidence is pretty overwhelming over the last several years that you can get decent backup RBs very cheaply, late in the draft.
  15. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,848 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think Thomas is a FA and won't be resigned so high probability that they tender an offer to keep Ivory
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Echo this. RB is one position where I'd rather never have to go with someone else's retread. Get fresh legs.
  17. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    he would be a good option, not much tread worn on him .
  18. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I think if he comes cheap he's a good option to have as he has experience in the back field at this level of competition and he actually should have relatively fresh legs. With that being said, if you add a vet back like him, I don't think it prevents the team from drafting a back, ad they still should. If he does well in a reserve role you can hopefully unload him for a low pick or mid round at the most.
  19. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I suggested him to the Cowboys a few days ago. His running style evokes memories of Eric Dickerson, to me. But as others here have suggested, if he can be had for a relatively fair price, yes.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,581 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    It won't matter who comes here if we can't block.