1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chris Ivory RFA Lookout

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by da_whiz_kid, Jan 19, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    And it won't help with Garrett congesting defenses in the middle of the field with run heavy formations.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    5,962 Likes Received
    Two more years on Thomas contract.
  3. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

875 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I always liked Ivory, tough runner, seems to have passion for the game. I wouldn't mind is we could get him cheap.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    ivory could be an option, but NO does RB by committee so it's hard to pin any one RB has a "go to" option.

shonn greene is the FA i'd target if we can get him reasonable.
  5. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,927 Messages
    39 Likes Received

He is hardly a retread. Its a bird in hand - he is a known, very high quality backup who can take 8-10 carries a game.

I would go after him. We have shown little ability to draft RBs the past 10 years.
  6. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    last 10 years we drafted 5

barber
    jones
    murray
    julius jones
    choice

so we draft a RB every other year. 2 are still on the team. 1 a fan favorite. choice late in the draft. who cares. j jones just never lived up to what anyone hoped. you're now talking:

2004 - j jones. got me. 1st round.
    2005 - barber, 4th round. oh the risk.
    2008 - f jones. still here. 1st round. argue value all you want but he's still on the team.
    2008 - choice. 4th round. worth the risk and was a "hope" for many for awhile.
    2011 - murray. looking good so far.

oh the bad history to wring your hands over.
  7. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Wow, a totally misinformed post.

A retread is someone else's tire. With a shiny new look.

I don't mind retreads for most positions, but I don't want them for RB.

In the last 10 years we've drafted some RBs who did well, including a guy on the team you might have heard of, DeMarco Murray. Has a ton of promise.
  8. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,296 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    Don't confuse our coach's inability to successfully utilize his RB's with them not being talented.
  9. goshan

1,927 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Wow, someone who doesn't really understand a word in the English language. Retread implies something that has been 'worn out' and has been 'reworked'. It does, of course, come from 'tires' - retread tires are remanufactured after the treads have been worn down and they are resold for a discount. It doesn't fit the description of Ivory at NO, a RB who is young with very few carries. He isn't a retread.

MBIII and Murray were successful picks. Other than that, we have missed. So say we have a 50% chance (which is optimistic) of hitting on a good #2 RB in a middle round? I would rather sign Ivory who is a known quantity, still young and has fresh legs.
  10. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    again, we drafted 5 rb's in the last 10 years.

odds don't mean crap on a small sample.
  11. goshan

1,927 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Regardless of past history, I think most would agree that you have a 50% chance of hitting on a really good #2 RB in the middle rounds. With that being the case, I think its a no brainer to go after someone like Ivory if he isn't too expensive.
  12. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    dude.

don't bring up past history and then dismiss it when it doesn't fit your view.

we hit 60% in the last 10 years. by your own defination we're a success, yet we fail.

it's a no brainer we should stop listening to people who don't understand what they say.
  13. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    So yea, I was just merely suggesting utilizing him as the backup to demarco murray. He's young, has very very little wear on him and in his limited action has shown some real promise being a productive back. We still draft a running back, and in a couple years we either have a proven back to tote the rock in Murray, and if things go well, ivory becomes a good second back, one of our backs can return some trade value. If it doesn't work out we still have whoever we drafted. Ivory is a good, young, underrated back, with very low mileage. If cheap I think its a no lose move as it does not keep us from drafting a rb.

Maybe I'm thinking to much, I just think it can be good value for the right price. That is all.
  14. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    i'd not disagree to ivory. i'd put him in the same vein as shonn greene. i'd put greene a tad ahead, but either way, you're talking about a #2 or 3 back.

but no, i don't like phillips or tanner. we can do better there.
  15. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,152 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Prefer Javon Ringer.
  16. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received

I like Greene a lot too. I think NY was just a bad spot for him, and he looked to turn it on at one point.
  17. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I am not opposed to bringing a vet RB this year as well as drafting one too.

I'd prefer one vet back not only for running the ball, but he should be able to step in to pass protect on 3rd downs, for example. It does take some rookies a year or two to learn pass protection.

I think in an ideal situation, we have Murray, a veteran, and a draft pick. I'm not sure what to make of Tanner and Dunbar. It seems that Tanner may have regressed a bit. He wasn't get any playing time with Murray and F Jones injured.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,845 Messages
    10,150 Likes Received
    Unless we seriously upgrade the OL, there isn't a worse spot for a RB in this league than Dallas.
  19. goshan

1,927 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? Its a no brainer whether its 40%, 50%, 60% or 70% - if the price is right.
    Our success is 2/5 or 40%. Barber and Murray are successful, others aren't.
  20. da_whiz_kid

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Well yea, but I think that's a given.

Check the sig line out. Number 1 priority.