1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Chron: Two injured Cowboys workers settle with Jerry Jones

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Sam I Am, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    DALLAS — The attorney for two Dallas Cowboys employees seriously injured in the 2009 collapse of the team's practice facility says each has received about $5 million from companies controlled by team owner Jerry Jones as legal settlements.

Complete Story
  2. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,658 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    That's interesting. To me it's a little unsettling to think Joe D needed to settle for another 5 million on top of his coaching salary, but he did get hurt pretty badly. Rich Behm is another story though, he's never going to walk again, though almost $20 million is quite a bit of payment for that I guess.
  3. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    My legs are worth far more than $20M to me.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    He's damaged for good - what exactly do you think coaches make?
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I don't understand why it isn't the company that built it who is directly responsible. I just don't get how Jerry is responsible for the building collapsing...he's not a frickin architect.
  6. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    It happen on his property. That makes him responsible. btw, the other company DID pay out money. The article even noted it as Behm got $19.5 million and DeCamillis for $4.5 million.

This $10M that Jerry paid out is on top of the other settlement.
  7. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, but he will never have to work another day in his life. Just saying.
  8. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I appreciate the finer things in life and seeing the world, but 20 million dollars? Here, you can have my legs. I'm not trying to be insensitive to Behm or anything, just my personal opinion.
  9. BubbleScreen

BubbleScreen Member

833 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Money's nice, gang, but any sane person would give it all back to be able to walk. Paraplegics are subject to life-long medical bills and tend to die a lot younger than the general population.

And every time I see Joe D on TV you can just tell his neck isn't right from the way he moves around on the sideline.

It sounds like and is a lot of money but there's more to life than $$$$
  10. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just think about it though. With no legs you don't have to do anything during sex.
  11. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,404 Messages
    20 Likes Received

Maybe handstands ?
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You can barely compensate having all 4 limbs and we're to suppose that you would be able to pull that off?? HAHAHA
  13. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You can't put a price on somebody's health and well being. It seems very fair to me that they'd both be instant millionaires.

And besides the perception is going to be that that's pocket change for Jerry anyway. I doubt he feels that way but I bet he's glad to move past all that.
  14. DeepBleu

DeepBleu Member

527 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    paralyzed from the waist down doesn't just mean you can no longer walk, but also means no more sex and cannot relieve yourself without outside help. if anyone think that rich behm is on his way to finer things in life, then i bet rich behm would like to do a brain transplant with you for 20 mil.
  15. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And the medical expenses cost as much. People often mistake these settlements as free money, as if it's the same as winning the lottery. In reality, the majority of the money goes to medical and rehab expenses that will now be incurred over the victim's lifetime.
  16. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,887 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    If you've ever worked with somebody who's lost the use of their legs and lower body functions, then you would probably feel quite different. Things you take for granted on a daily basis are no longer available to you. As noted by another poster, your life expectancy drops and your options in terms of activity become extremely limited. The loss of the kind of freedom that you and I enjoy as fully ambulatory individuals is priceless. No amount of money is worth this kind of loss, but apparently, it will have to do.