1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Chuck Howley

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by pancakeman, Feb 6, 2006.

1. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Okay, I know that Chuck Howley was the first defensive Super Bowl MVP and the only losing-team Super Bowl MVP.
    Can somebody tell me what he did in that Super Bowl to earn that honor?
    (My Cowboys fandom started after he was gone.)
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    2 ints and a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Howley really had a great individual performance in that game
  3. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Add to that the fact that both teams were so awful that there was no one on either offense to give the award to....At the time, Sports Illustrated called it the "Blunder Bowl."
  4. jwhardin

jwhardin Member

412 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One thing I remember about that other than Howley's performance, was Duane Thomas fumbling the ball at the Baltimore 1 yd line, which would have given the Boys a good lead, Fitzgerald of the boys coming up with the ball, but the refs giving the ball to Baltimore.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I forget who it was, but one of the Colt's defensive players was yelling "Colt's ball!" And the refs just said, "OK!" That was it.

Proof that no matter what bad calls will be made to change the course of a game. We saw in SB V and again in SB XL.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    yeah -- that one shocked me. But Landry should have thrown the challenge flag.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    LOL. They didn't have the challenge flag then. Maybe he should have thrown the Challenge Fedora!
  8. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:lmao2:

He should have sailed it across the field like a Frizzbie
  9. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually that was Center Dave Manders who had the ball the whole time but the Colts players were all yelling and pointing their way so the refs awarded them the ball before they even unpiled the players to see who actually had it.

There have been some truly bad calls in SBs since then but to me that will always go down as the worst ever.
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chuck Howley was a damn good player for a long long time.

[IMG]
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    maybe from a cowboys viewpoint

but the worst call IMO was Indy vs. Steelers when they caught that hail mary and they gave pitt, ironically, the benefit of doubt that it was incomplete
  12. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

931 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    It was cowboy center Dave Manders that came up with the ball.
  13. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

931 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    It was Billy Ray Smith of the colts who started yelling colts ball,and the refs gave it to them,eventhough Dave Manders of the cowboys had it.
  14. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

931 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    If your talking about the 95 AFC championship game where Harbaugh threw the hail mary at the end of the game,and they called it incomplete.They called it incomplete because it was incomplete.
  15. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't believe that call was in a SB which is what I stated:

16. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Duane Thomas didn't play in that SB. Dan Reeves was the RB. And, the "fumble" was Walt Garrison's, who swears to this day he had been down a long time before the ball was pulled loose. It was a phantom fumble with a phantom recovery that cost the Boys the game.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,952 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    The halftime break didn't seem to rejuvenate either offense. Colts defensive back Jim Duncan fumbled away the second-half kickoff, giving the Cowboys the ball deep in Baltimore territory. The Cowboys quickly drove downfield thanks to some efficient running by Thomas. But Thomas canceled out all his hard work by fumbling the ball right back to the Colts at, of all places, the one-yard line, denying the Cowboys of what might have been � at least on this day � an insurmountable 20-6 lead.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/history_superBowl.cfm
  18. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Mike Curtis intercepted a Morton pass is what did Dallas in. Morton threw a very bad pass over the head of Reeves right into the hands of Curtis from there the colts kicked the FG with secs left in the game
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    No one wants to mention the bogus call on the Mackey TD reception where they claimed our DB, Cornell Green, I think, touched the ball, but he swore he didn't....back then it would have been called an incomplete pass because two offensive players couldn't touch the pass without a defender touching it in between.

That call is still disputed to this day.
  20. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree that was a big play in the game but Dallas still was in a position to overcome it which is why I pointed to the Morton int with a min something left in the game that set the colts up in the Dallas redzone where all they had to do was kick the FG to win.