1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Clarence E. Hill Jr-->COWBOYS NOTES

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by adbutcher, Jun 7, 2004.

1. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,721 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    COWBOYS NOTES

James being given shot at taking Coakley's job

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Roughly five months ago, Cowboys weakside linebacker Dexter Coakley was enjoying his third trip to the Pro Bowl.

In club history, only two other linebackers, Chuck Howley (six) and Lee Roy Jordan (five), have gone to more Pro Bowls than Coakley.

Add in his seven-season streak of at least 100 tackles, the third-longest active streak in the NFL behind the eight straight put together by Miami's Zach Thomas and Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks, and you would think that retaining his starting job would be the least of Coakley's worries heading into his eighth season with the Cowboys.

Well, the sight of Coakley running with the second team in Sunday's morning practice and second-year linebacker Bradie James taking snaps as the starter is further proof that the only certainty at the team's Valley Ranch training complex is coach Bill Parcells' mantra that every position is open.

And it also says that Parcells, who intimated last month that the fast-improving James would get a shot to unseat Coakley, doesn't toss out idle comments.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer tried to downplay the rotation, saying that the Cowboys will be doing that at a lot of positions and that it was more about evaluating James than targeting Coakley.

The Cowboys know what Coakley can do. The only way they are going to get a good assessment of James is to see him perform alongside other first-teamers.

Still, there is no denying that the Cowboys drafted James last season with the idea of his eventually replacing the undersized Coakley, who is 5-foot-10 and 236 pounds. At 6-2 and 243 pounds, James fits the prototypical size of a Parcells linebacker. Parcells says James improved more than anybody on the team during the off-season, so the linebacker seems to be poised for a breakout year.

Coakley, who worked with the first team during the afternoon practice, said he was told there would be a rotation.

"It's the way it is sometimes," Coakley said. "But I'm excited about the competition ... Regardless of where I play, or where anyone else plays, my job is just to play or execute when I get on the field. It's just something that's going to motivate me and help me get better."

James, who excelled on special teams last season, said he is excited about competing for a starting job.

"Football is about competition," James said. "That's the name of the game. Everyone here is talented, so you have to make the most out of all your opportunities."

James excelled at strongside linebacker for LSU, but the weakside position is a bigger playmaking spot in the Cowboys' defense. And the Cowboys believe he has the chance to be huge playmaker. Coakley doesn't have the size to play this defense's strongside spot.

"I have been through things in life where this is not going to rock my boat," Coakley said. "This is nothing. This is something that is going to motivate me. You have to go through the rains to enjoy the sunshine."

Hutchinson cut date?

Look for the Cowboys to make a final decision on quarterback Chad Hutchinson after June 14.

The Cowboys plan to take only four quarterbacks to training camp, and Hutchinson, who struggled in NFL Europe this spring before injuring a shoulder, appears to be the odd man out.

The date is important because that's the day the Cowboys will get two training-camp roster exemptions for sending Hutchinson to NFL Europe.

They would lose the exemption for Hutchinson once they cut him, but they would keep the bonus exemption, allowing them to evaluate an extra player in training camp.

Randal Williams missing

Wide receiver Randal Williams has missed the first two days of minicamp for personal reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ONLINE: www.dallascowboys.com
    Clarence E. Hill Jr., (817) 390-7760 omegahill@earthlink.net
  2. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i like the fact that when parcells says any job is open he means it. coakley has done a wonderful job for us throughout his career and it's good to know that we have someone ready to take over when his play starts slipping. that's hard to do in the salary cap era.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,117 Messages
    3,148 Likes Received
    Well, now some folks can circle the date in red on their calendars and remind everyone that they told us so.
  4. thor_01

thor_01 New Member

451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if james was to beat out coakley, knowing that there have been rumors to the effect, that possibly coakley would be used to facillitate a trade of some sort, i know it is a reach, but i can't just see Big Bill making this kind of move so early in the season without having contemplated a move of some kind to go with it, taking a big risk just to send a message and possibly causing disention in the ranks......................
  5. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm pretty interested with what is going on with Randall Williams. No one has given a reason other than "personal". I just wonder if this kind of thing will help him lose his spot...
  6. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

this kind of thing could cost him a roster space
  7. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,645 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Hos do you enjoy looking at Willies crack? :)
  8. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not only that but it might cost him his position with the team.
  9. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hadn't even noticed it until you brought it up - whatcha doing looking there, bro? That's a one way highway ... :eek:
  10. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    "It's the way it is sometimes," Coakley said. "But I'm excited about the competition ... Regardless of where I play, or where anyone else plays, my job is just to play or execute when I get on the field. It's just something that's going to motivate me and help me get better."

"I have been through things in life where this is not going to rock my boat," Coakley said. "This is nothing. This is something that is going to motivate me. You have to go through the rains to enjoy the sunshine."

Coakley has been called , "over-payed", "over-rated", "under-sized", and "over-hyped" for most of his career.

It is with this type of attitude, and desire for the game that has kept him the starter for so many years.

I would love to see Brady beat out Dex, because I would know that in-order to so, Brady would have to be possesing some massive "up-side".
  11. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His mom is VERY sick, she has been having stomach problems for a while, and they couldn't figure out what was up with it....apparently, she took a turn for the worse Thursday. Everybody just needs to keep his family in their prayers...

I think he's aware that they may bring in another WR for camp fodder, just for insurance purposes...
  12. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Don't ya'll think that this is Parcells' preference of "bigger" LBs coming through? He knows that Dex is one of the premier LBs in the league, but he's just not a big fan of his size?
  13. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,745 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I've never heard of a "bonus" exemption for an NFLE player. Does that come with sending a player at a specific position? Or maybe a player with 2 yrs experience? Does anyone know for sure?
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,108 Messages
    4,580 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info BrownSugar as ususal on the spot. I doubt this will hamper him unless he stays away for a prolonged period. He will make it or not on the field not on the basis of some real personal problems.

Hope his Mom gets well soon and it's nothing serious.
  15. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,721 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Good looking out with the info. I hope his mother pulls through, I will keep them in my prayers.

16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received

Best wishes for his mom and for a speedy recovery.
  17. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,645 Messages
    20 Likes Received

HaHa, it was someone else who noticed it in the Picture Thread.
  18. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice Picture Hostile ..aha
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,117 Messages
    3,148 Likes Received
    I think it's a great picture. Al Johnson looks good. Willie Blade showing a slice of moon. My 100 dollar guarantee front and center in the pic looking pretty good.
  20. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    i don't know jack about the guy except the little snippets here and there, but there is something about having that kind of size and speed you simply can't ignore. Didn't we just resign him for 2 more years? I think the coaches are behind him and his teammates also, and for some reason i just believe he will be a star on this team. right now of course, that's the last thing on his mind...
    i wish your family well, randall. you come back when you're ready.