1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Clayton Holmes: Yikes

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by bbgun, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ChrisCanty99

ChrisCanty99 New Member

270 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How sad.

I don't hold it against him that he isn't making more of an effort to finish his school and pay the child support he owes. After all, his life has taught him that no matter how well he does, or how much he accomplishes, he'll just get dragged down again anyway.

Shame he didn't move back to Dallas; he could've had more opportunities.

I wonder if Jerry ever considered opening the Calvin Hill program up to former players?

I don't know if Holmes would be good for anything as damaged as he sadly is. But he seems to want to change, and has no idea how.
  2. QT

QT Active Member

1,901 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Man, seemed like yesterday that Clayton Holmes was playing special teams for the Cowboys. I'm not sure but doesn't he get a yearly pension from the NFL?
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received

Good question...and if he does it's probabaly $89.00 a month or some crap like that.

But at this point he does not need money, he needs self-respect...he seems to care about everyone except himself.

Sad story...but he's not the first, or will he be the last...

:starspin
  4. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I'd hate to be judgmental towards the guy, especially given his horrible upbringing. But, I just can't begin to understand how you can be so apathetic about your kids.

A lot of athletes wind up broke, though maybe not as destitute as Clayton. They sign for a million $ (or several million) and think of that as an endless pool of $ that will never expire. They have no concept of how quickly even a million$ can go when you start paying the hangers-on.

I remember Jack Clark (baseball player from the 1980's) made something like $20 or $30M over his career, and he went broke as well. Even making that amazing sum of $, he wound up bankrupt, mainly from buying classic cars, IIRC.
  5. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I don't believe they get pension until they are retirement age.
  6. Gangsta Spanksta

Gangsta Spanksta New Member

1,809 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :( That's so depressing I couldn't even read the whole thing... Geez.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,670 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    i do feel bad for him, cause he had a very bad childhood, as did his brothers. However, he is a grown man, and he could have gotten a job and gotten his stuff together. He chooses to live the life he lives now.

Why not simply leave that sesspool and move to some other place and completely start over. Maybe he could look to one of his ex-teammates for a job opportunity, and start from there.

BTW, doesn't this story sound similar to that of the rise and fall of MC Hammer.....all he wanted to do was get out of poverty and make it big....and then help all those people he grew up with.....so he did, and then when the money was dried up....all those people who were allegedly his friends or had his back, ended up disappearing and scorning him.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,473 Messages
    5,225 Likes Received
    I had a friend who was doing business with MC Hammer recently. He was lucky enough to have him in his office when they'd been doing some remodeling. He had Hammer standing next to a freshly-painted wall, and got to say to him "Hammer, can't touch this!" and then do the dance. True story. Stupid, but true.
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Clayton is a prime example of why I think the NFL should have a mandatory enrollment program for EVERY rookie player where they go to a class on a weekly basis to learn how to manage money, make the right life lessons and generally be men. Too many of these guys are coming out of school still kids and acting like and they never grow up.

This is a very sad story.
  10. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,437 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    wow, reading that was like getting slapped in the face with a frozen towel.
  11. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sad story indeed.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,229 Messages
    3,571 Likes Received
    After reading that story, I'm wondering where Holmes will be in 5, 10 or 20 years from now. The only kind of future he can look forward to can only be described as very bleak. Very sad story.
  13. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,540 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Tis a sad life for him :( poor fella doesn't seem to catch a break outside of being a world class athelete
  14. LowTech

LowTech the most important member

1,798 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    This guy needs a friend now more than ever. There is nothing left in him. Thats why he doesn't care, about anyone. No one has ever really cared for him I guess. Even his mother, all she wanted was cash. Truly sad.
  15. Tennione72

Tennione72 Member

826 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I just read the story over at ESPN he is lost and that's a sad thing
  16. EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy New Member

940 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sad story, no doubt.
  17. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,746 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    You can say that again. Wow.
  18. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    Don't ever feel bad for drug addicts.
  19. tnbk

tnbk Member

300 Messages
    1 Likes Received

That is a shame.....I speak from experience and clearly you do not understand the disease.
  20. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,746 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    His OWN BROTHER raped him man. His parents beat them like crazy.