1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Clinton aide targets Obama's past drug use

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Clinton adviser: Obama's drug past a liability

National co-chair says Republicans will look for more dirt, then backtracks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22226198/

CONCORD, N.H. - A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign said Wednesday that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama’s admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate.

Obama’s campaign said the Clinton people were getting desperate. Clinton’s campaign tried to distance itself from the remarks, and the adviser said later he regretted making them.

Bill Shaheen, a national co-chairman of Clinton’s front-runner campaign, raised the issue during an interview with The Washington Post, posted on washingtonpost.com.

‘Openings for Republican dirty tricks’
    Shaheen, an attorney and veteran organizer, said much of Obama’s background is unknown and could be a problem in November 2008 if he is the Democratic nominee. He said Republicans would work hard to discover new aspects of Obama’s admittedly spotty youth.

“It’ll be, ‘When was the last time? Did you ever give drugs to anyone? Did you sell them to anyone?”’ said Shaheen, whose wife, Jeanne, is the state’s former governor and is running for the U.S. Senate next year.

“There are so many openings for Republican dirty tricks. It’s hard to overcome,” Shaheen said.

Clinton’s campaign said it had nothing to do with his comments, and Shaheen said later he regretted them.

“I deeply regret the comments I made today and they were not authorized by the campaign in any way,” Bill Shaheen said in an e-mail released by the campaign.

Obama camp strikes back

A campaign spokeswoman, Kathleen Strand, earlier had said “Senator Clinton is out every day talking about the issues that matter to the American people. These comments were not authorized or condoned by the campaign in any way.”

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said in response to Shaheen’s remarks:

“Hillary Clinton said attacking other Democrats is the fun part of this campaign, and now she’s moved from Barack Obama’s kindergarten years to his teenage years in an increasingly desperate effort to slow her slide in the polls. Senator Clinton’s campaign is recycling old news that Barack Obama has been candid about in a book he wrote years ago, and he’s talked about the lessons he’s learned from these mistakes with young people all across the country. He plans on winning this campaign by focusing on the issues that actually matter to the American people.”

Obama wrote about his teenage drug use in his memoir, “Dreams from My Father.” His rivals have largely remained silent on the subject.

“Junkie. Pothead. That’s where I’d been headed: the final fatal role of the young would-be black man,” Obama wrote. Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, he wrote, but occasionally he would snort cocaine when he could afford it.

Speaking to Manchester high school students earlier this month, Obama said he was hardly a model student and had experimented with drugs and alcohol.

“You know, I made some bad decisions that I’ve actually written about. You know, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs,” he said. “There was a whole stretch of time that I didn’t really apply myself a lot. It wasn’t until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, ‘Man, I wasted a lot of time.”’

Clinton’s campaign has distributed its first flier that criticizes Obama’s health care plan for leaving 15 million people without insurance. TV ads following the same theme also have been prepared.

“This is not the time to go back to the same old politics of, ’now I’m going to smack you over the head with a baseball bat and call into question your character,”’ Obama co-chairman Ned Helms told reporters in a conference call earlier Wednesday, decrying what he said was Clinton’s negative campaign.

In Iowa, Democratic presidential rival John Edwards said of the comments: “I reject it. I reject it, and I want nothing to do with that kind of politics.”
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,857 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Where is Jt and his frenzied Defense of Hilary?
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Well at least Obama is man enough to admit that he did use them as opposed to saying he tried but didn't inhale.:laugh2:
  4. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with him at all.

He admitted it...unlike Clinton (didn't inhale) or Bush (wouldn't discuss it).

Doing drugs as a youth...no big deal.
  5. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama was a stoner??

I may have to look at him more seriously as a candidate... America might benefit from having a head in the White House...
  6. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We've read that book already:

[IMG]
  7. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Typical outcome though... the benefit didn't outweigh the headaches that accompanied it... :D
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    maybe it's me (i'm sure it is actually) but hillarys camp sure does say "we do not condone such behavior" a lot. if it's like this for the campaign and she can't control it, how can she run a country?
  9. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    not much outweighs monica.

HA! yea, i said it. : )
  10. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    She's already saying she is sorry...

"Hillary makes it clear there will be no negative personal attacks by her campaign going forward"...

She's likely telling the truth. She'll have other shills do the dirty work then always take the high road. It's classic Clinton campaign technique...
  11. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    but there's a short lifespan on blaming your underlings before it rises to the top. ask bush how abu gahrib worked out.
  12. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Different party... ;)
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    I am never surprised by the unmitigated gall and arrogance of the Clinton's.

I guess they will next accuse Obama of making shady deals with China.

:cool:
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't think it's a case of not controlling her campaign...I think what happened was just what her campaign wanted to happen as Trick said...have some low level person break some news or dig up old drug issues and then if there is backlash because of it then Hillary will just say sorry or I wasn't involved with it or we don't condone it or whatever and she's in the clear...almost.

I'm not blaming her for it...if there's dirt it's going to be found and used against you...whether it came from Hillary...other Dem's or and you know it would happen the Republicans.

Obama was the one that admitted that he used drugs(I don't have a problem with that) he HAD to know that it was going to be brought up at some point.
  15. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    the problem is anytime something semi-controversial happens, she doesn't condone it, they don't believe in doing it, but such things keep happening. and she keeps blaming anyone but herself.

i see no personal responsibility at all but a lot of HOW DARE THEY!?!? and that gets so old to me.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Just imagine if Rove had worked for the Clinton's. Actually that is quite scary.
  17. trickblue

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Carville easily holds his own with Rove...
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yep...he was Rove before Rove...for the Clinton's.
  19. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    When was the last time that you heard of any politician taking personal responsibility for something?

I can't remember. Not saying she's right...just saying I can't remember one.
  20. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    did bush or did bush NOT say there were no WMD and he even looked around the white house for them in making fun of himself?