1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Clinton Says She Would Shield Science From Politics

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Clinton Says She Would Shield Science From Politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/05/us/politics/05clinton.html?_r=1&ref=politics&oref=slogin

Published: October 5, 2007

In a stinging critique of Bush administration science policy, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York said yesterday that if she were elected president she would require agency directors to show they were protecting science research from “political pressure” and that she would lift federal limits on stem cell research.

Mrs. Clinton, a leading Democratic presidential candidate, also committed herself to a space-based climate research project to combat global warming and pledged to spend $50 billion on fighting climate change and finding energy alternatives to foreign oil.

In a speech laying out her campaign’s science agenda, Mrs. Clinton spoke of the need for a “robust” program of human exploration of space.

But in a telephone interview afterward, she said that in the short term she would subordinate Bush administration proposals for human exploration of the Moon and Mars to restoring cuts in aeronautics research and space-based studies of climate change and other earth science issues.

Travel to the Moon or Mars “excites people,” she said, “but I am more focused on nearer-term goals I think are achievable.”

Her remarks yesterday, at the Carnegie Institution of Washington, amounted to a spirited attack on President Bush for waging what she called a “war on science” that has allowed political appointees to shape and in some cases distort science-based federal reports.

Mrs. Clinton said she would restore the office of White House science adviser to the higher status it held in the administrations of her husband and President Bush’s father. And she said she would encourage Congress to revive its Office of Technology Assessment, an advisory group that was shut down in 1995 after Republicans in Congress withdrew its financing.

In the telephone interview after the speech, Mrs. Clinton also tacitly criticized opponents of evolution. Some of the 2008 Republican presidential candidates have said flatly that they do not believe in evolution, while other Republican contenders have said they support teaching evolution, intelligent design and creationist ideas.

“I believe in evolution, and I am shocked at some of the things that people in public life have been saying,” Mrs. Clinton said in the interview. “I believe that our founders had faith in reason and they also had faith in God, and one of our gifts from God is the ability to reason.”

“I am grateful that I have the ability to look at dinosaur bones and draw my own conclusions,” she added, saying, too, that antibiotic-resistant bacteria is evidence that “evolution is going on as we speak.”

The Clinton attack on White House science policy is not especially new; Mrs. Clinton has used the phrase “war on science” frequently on the campaign trail, and it has reliably drawn applause from Democratic audiences. She has also indicated before that she would reverse the financing restriction on stem cell research and, more broadly, would stand against politicizing science.

But in her speech and the telephone interview, she sought to lay out her agenda in what one adviser called “a contest of ideas” with her Democratic rivals, who have been increasingly delivering more policy speeches in hopes of winning voters with big ideas that counter nearly seven years of Bush administration policy.

“When science is politicized, it is worse than wrong,” she said in the interview. “It is dangerous — dangerous for our democracy.”

Moreover, she said, “it is holding us back economically,” as other countries move forward in research in areas like stem cells and alternative energy, “creating high-wage jobs.”

The Bush White House has been dogged by complaints from scientists in and out of government, including some of its own appointees, that it has ignored, contorted or suppressed work by government scientists if they contradict administration views, particularly in areas like climate.

Others complain that the administration has made science policy decisions on grounds that are not scientific. In particular, critics cite the president’s decision, in August 2001, to limit federal financing for research involving human embryonic stem cells to cell lines already in use at the time.

The research is thought to have great potential in developing treatments for a range of diseases, but opponents of abortion rights object to it, because the cells are produced through the destruction of human embryos.

“We have to be steered by values and morals,” Mrs. Clinton said yesterday, and she pointed to guidelines drawn up by the National Institutes of Health during her husband’s administration as a kind of “ethical framework” through which such work could advance.

For example, she said, the use of embryonic stem cells to create tissue whose DNA is identical to that of an ailing person, a process called therapeutic cloning, “is within the ethical framework.”

Danny Diaz, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, chided Mrs. Clinton for saying that she would take politics out of science, contending that her record is replete with political manipulations.

“Hillary Clinton says she will bring integrity to science, but on the campaign trail she manipulates basic mathematics in her attempts to explain how she will pay for hundreds of billions of dollars in new spending,” Mr. Diaz said. He also noted that Mr. Bush had made federal money available for stem cell research.
  2. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    One issue that I like about Hillary. . . .
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,464 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    You'd think her takes are the only possible answers; except amazingly it is in sharp contrast to the current administration.

I really wish we could stop importing scientists:(
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Oh, bro. I can't tell you how much the current administration irks me because it oppresses science with religion to further its political cause; and not the betterment of mankind.

It's sickening.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    someone just got my vote.
  6. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I need more rational reasons why I should vote for her. But I won't vote for her until my guy drops out of the race (if he does).
  7. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Man are you right.
  8. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Yeah, but it's not about me being right. It's about doing the right thing.
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Exactly and if she does what she says in the article...then the right thing will be done.
  10. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It's been a shame that not only has our evil President done evil things on an international level to hinder this country, its integrity, and its safety, but he has also done things within its borders in regards to science that, in my opinion, makes him an evil man--no matter what his "faith". :rolleyes:
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    He isn't evil - I don't like him but I don't see him as evil.

He's ignorant. Very ignorant.
  12. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,974 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    mine too, good stuff here.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,593 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
  14. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  15. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  16. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Esqueleto - "I don't believe in God, I believe in science."
  17. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    :stupid: :D
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Stupid is a good word to describe atheists.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,593 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    junk science points out all the holes in many politically correct areas of science. And for Clinton to make that claim is a real joke. Fact is that politics will enter into ANY decision made by any administration. For her to make that claim and the kool aid drinking Jim Jones believers take it seriously is to once again prove P T Barnum correct.
  20. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You know for someone who regurgitates the Bush Administrations claims about just about everything like they were the word of God and to never be questioned...REALLY should not talk about others being Kool-Aid drinkers.