1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Clinton Supporters go for the throat...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    From NBC's Abby Livingston

Oh snap! Who needs a Rottweiler when you’ve got surrogates?

Tom Buffenbarger president of the machinists' union (International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers) was the the latest in a string of Clinton junkyard dogs unleashed upon Obama. Prior to Hillary Clinton’s speech last night in Youngstown, Ohio, Buffenbarger delivered nothing short of an Obama diatribe.

While campaign introductions typically sing the praises of the upcoming candidate, Buffenbarger's speech barely mentioned Clinton until the conclusion. It was all about Obama, and it was laced with venom and ad hominems.

Buffenbarger called Obama a “thespian,” and he sarcastically referred to the junior senator from Illinois as a “wunderkind.” He compared Obama to “Janus, the two-faced Roman god of ancient times.” And he pleaded with the crowd to boo Obama’s labor record.

Early in his speech, Buffenbarger asked, “So now we have a decision to make. Will we rely on the Harvard Law Review editor? The silver-tongued orator from Kansas, Hawaii and Illinois? The man in love with the microphone?”

Taking off the gloves, he said, “Barack Obama is no Muhammad Ali. He took a walk every time there was a tough vote in the Illinois State Senate. He took a walk more than a 130 times. That's what a shadow boxer does. All the right moves. All the right combinations. All the right footwork. But he never steps into the ring.”

But it was Obama supporters for whom Buffenbarger saved his most vitriolic contempt, and he proved that the Democratic Party’s coalition is nothing if not fragile. Channeling Howard Beale from the movie "Network," he yelled into the microphone, “Give me a break! I've got news for all the latte-drinking, Prius- driving, Birkenstock-wearing, trust fund babies crowding in to hear him speak! This guy won't last a round against the Republican attack machine. He's a poet, not a fighter.”

With all this trash talk, who needs a Thrilla in Manilla?
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Well now we know were jterrell ran off too.

:D
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    The Republican attack machine? I guess the Repubs ought to be flattered since it seems clear who has the ultimate attack machine.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    That is the reason I don't want Hillary winning the nomination. Her camp is the dems version of the former Karl Rove camp. Both are vicious and do what ever it takes.

I think with Obama and McCain it will be more civil...now don't get me wrong, there will be attacks and so on. But I don't see it like what would have happened if Hillary would win the nomination or if Karl was working with McCain.

These nominations have been very interesting to an indy. You have the dems fighting over Hillary and Obama and you had many of the right talking mouths ripping on McCain.

Interesting.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    I agree it's very interesting. Although I typically stay out of political debates outside of my immediate circle, it's funny to listen to folks within my realm and hear certain comments.

I've heard folks say they want to vote for Barack, but thinks he'll be assassinated, if elected. I've heard some folks say that's it's a significant moment in history for a women and a black man to be viable candidates.

The one thing I do see is that people are engaged in the process in a way I haven't seen in my adulthood. And for that, I think it's a good thing.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,489 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Hillary Clinton has so much experience fighting the republican mud machine that their methods have become her own. Plagiarism? There's no clearer indication that a campaign is bankrupt of ideas and inspiration than when they start trotting out such petty diversions.
  7. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't really understand the assassination thing.

I mean, on the one hand, as soon as you're elected President, your chances of being assassinated go way up just because of the profile of the office. But I don't think Obama is any more likely to be killed in office just because he's black.

In fact, I think he's less of a target than Bush is.

Think about it... who's likely to be so mad at Obama that they'd try to kill him? Rednecks? Punk Skinhead teenage wannabes? You may have some racists who may say some bad things about Obama, but the likelihood of one of them getting organized enough to try to kill him is pretty slim.

With Bush, however, you have two groups who seem pretty radicalized who hate him passionately: 1) the angry MoveOn types who you see taking to the streets for the WTO protests and anti-war protests; 2) the radical element of Islam.

I think both of those groups are far more likely to try to pull off some kind of assassination attempt than some beer-swilling redneck with a confederate flag on his pickup truck.
  8. WoodysGirl

66,182 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    I've only heard it from the old guard. People in my age group don't seem to have that same concern.

But some of the older people, 50s and up, are very adamant about that. It's a common belief among them that America isn't ready for a black president. I heard that consistently growing up; primarily because of their own experiences growing up.
  9. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I can see that.

At the same time, you have a paradox because it's pretty likely that Obama wouldn't be having the success and popularity he's having right now if he wasn't black.

I guess it can be a double-edged sword.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    I think it has more to do with his looks and charm.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You're pretty much lost it, in the eyes of anyone rational enough to see this for what it is: instead of giving your opponents supporter's reason for pause and consideration for your policies, you've sunk to attacking them. Hilary's campaign should just fold now. This is disgraceful.

As for Obama's safety as President; if George Bush can travel safely to the Middle East and not be killed, a black President should have no problem being protected at home.
  12. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've wondered about this, too.

I saw him working through a big crowd in some plaza the other day and he looked vulnerable. The security was very sub-par, I thought. I think he has to be more careful.

Obama's rhetoric and style are similar in some ways to JFK, RFK and MLK Jr. He has a lot of charisma that is fueling an enthusiastic rise among younger voters. Some people in powerful positions may view this as a threat to their status-quo. There's also the possibility of a lone nut, a racist.

RFK was taken out during the campaign in 1968 because it would have been more difficult once he was settled into office.

I'm not an Obama supporter (I don't particularly care for any of the contending candidates), but I worry for the guy.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    I think that is a huge part of it, the generation gap.

If I recall correctly there was a rumor years back that Colin Powell's wife did not want him to enter the race because she was fearful of his safety.
  14. WoodysGirl

66,182 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    I'd say he has crossover appeal. Because no matter how popular he is among black people, if white people weren't also enthralled, his candidacy would've stalled a long time ago. The big thing about Obama is that he's tapped into the young adult market. When the 18-25 age group are engaged, that's when you kinda take notice of things.

Just from my personal observations of people around me, he didn't really come on as a viable candidate to black people right away. He ranked right up there with Sharpton and Jesse initially. Folks had pretty much mailed in their vote for Hillary. It wasn't until polls started getting closer and he won a primary that I saw their excitement change.

It's been very interesting to say the least.
  15. WoodysGirl

66,182 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    There's alot to be said when an attractive man can speak eloquently in front of large crowds. He is very charismatic. That's the X-factor for him.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,021 Likes Received
    I would agree Obama does not run any greater risk than any other President. Having said that there are nut cases like Hinckley who shot Reagan so you never know. Secret Service does a great job but when people are not afraid to be caught it is almost impossible to protect anyone
  17. Chief

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they're most vulnerable during a campaign, where being out in the open and coming face to face with the people is a day-to-day activity and critical to their success.

Obama's protection will increase dramatically when he has the nomination and if he wins it all in November.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,021 Likes Received
    I agree but I think the same holds true for all candidates.
  19. Chief

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe so.

I've read a lot over the years about the Kennedys and I truly believe there were some very powerful people in this country that wanted them gone. I worry that Obama may be viewed as the same type of threat to those elements.

But, like was posted earlier, there are the occasional wackos like Squeaky Fromme and John Hinckley that attempt it, so you never know.
  20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,489 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Exactly. Obama is a mixed-race candidate for an increasingly post-ethnic America.