1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Clinton's Last Stand

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,811 Messages
    565 Likes Received
    Shifting Campaign Tone Reveals Internal Debate Over How to Wage the Battle

Heading out of last week's debate and into the final week of campaigning before the March 4 primaries in Ohio and Texas, which have become must-wins for Hillary Clinton, the New York senator has taken to mocking her Democratic rival's oratory.

"Let's just get everybody together. Let's get unified, the sky will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing and everyone will know that the world is perfect," Clinton said in Rhode Island Sunday, belittling Obama's soaring oratory.

It's the latest in three distinct tones Clinton has used about Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in the last few days. On Thursday, she almost hugged him, taking his hand on the debate stage as she emphasized, "I am honored to be on the stage with Barack Obama."

On Saturday, she berated him over two mailings circulated by his campaign that she said created division within the Democratic Party that misrepresented her views on the North American Free Trade Agreement and health care.

"Shame on you, Barack Obama. It is time you ran a campaign consistent with your messages in public. That is what I expect from you."
    Appearing frustrated — if not furious — Clinton clutched the two Obama campaign fliers during a news conference in Cincinnati and challenged her party rival to a Ohio debate.

"Enough of the speeches and the big rallies and then using tactics that are right out of Karl Rove's playbook," she said. "This is wrong, and every Democrat ought to be outraged."

NAFTA hits a particular note among union voters in Ohio: Union households, one of former President Clinton's major legacies, make up a quarter of the state's Democratic voters and say the free trade agreement cost them jobs.

Clinton's shifting tone may symbolize internal tensions within the campaign as to how to wage the fight this week amid headlines speculating depressed Clinton staffers and the New York senator's exit from the race for the Democratic nomination if she doesn't win those contests.
    Obama tried to shrug off Clinton's attacks last night in Toledo.

"She said, 'well, you know it's just an illusion, it's a delusion to think that somehow you're just going to wish all the special interest power in Washington away.' Well, she's right about that but it doesn't help if you take a million dollars … from lobbyists for the special interests," Obama said.

Playing his part on the trail, Bill Clinton is working his heart out. The former president held six events Saturday — more than anyone else actually running for president — ready to shake every hand in Texas while defending his wife.

"The obvious bias of the pundits dancing on Hillary's grave. It's the only dance they know," he said.

The former president will campaign in Ohio today while his wife delivers a major foreign policy address in Washington, D.C., trying to drive home the point that she is ready to be commander in chief in a troubled world, while Obama is not.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=4338609&page=1

:laugh2::laugh1::laugh2:
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    You're enjoying this far too much.
  3. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And what's funny to me is...if she loses the nomination and Obama goes up against McCain...he has a much better chance of beating him that Clinton does right now.

So it may be a case of cutting off you nose to spite your face. :D
  4. zrinkill

32,811 Messages
    565 Likes Received
    Like you aren't?

;)

In all seriousness I would not be surprised if she came back and beat him.

The Clintons have more lives than Dianne Wiest.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I could live with either McCain or Obama as President. I don't want Hilary under any condition. We've had 20 years of Bush or Clinton in power if you don't count Bush Sr's 8 years as VP. 4 more or 8 more with Hilary is not palatable to me and neither will Jeb in 4 to 8 years.

So yes, I am enjoying her demise a little too much, so I can't blame anyone else who might be.
  6. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oh I don't blame anyone...just be careful what you wish for IF you couldn't live with Obama...not saying you...but the people who couldn't.

Cause I think Obama beats McCain.

Hillary I don't know.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I think a lot depends on who the running mates would be. Any of the 3 candidates could sink their own ship between now and November with a single slip of the tongue.

Being an Arizona guy I'm rooting for McCain. He and Richardson were my sentimental choices all along. Regional loyalty ya know? I don't care which party wins. Danny White can tell you that when he met me about a year and a half ago I was already hoping McCain could win it.
  8. zrinkill

32,811 Messages
    565 Likes Received
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  10. zrinkill

32,811 Messages
    565 Likes Received
    Thank you, Thank you.
  11. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Fat lady is about to sing, I almost feel sorry for the _____, NOT!
    Poor Bill, must be really depressed, well at least we won't end up paying to clean the carpet in the Oval office again.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,048 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    If she is standing on one leg now...I may sneak a banana peel under her foot so I can laugh when she slips and falls.:D
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I really question that Obama can beat McCain. His inexperience and non existent record will count too much in the end. Not to mention he is so far to the left and that will get more obvious the nearer we get to November. I do agree the running mates this time out could really count for a lot.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,413 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I think it will be tough and close. One thing though McCain will bring up Obama voting record something Hillary can't do because her votes and his are pretty much the same on most issues.
  15. zrinkill

32,811 Messages
    565 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Never count Hillary out.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

The things that people come up with.