1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN:Bargain Hunting -- It's the Cowboys' Only Option at Free Agent Safety

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/03/bargain-hunting-its-cowboys-only-option.html
    Posted by Rafael at Saturday, March 10, 2012
    [IMG]
    Dwight Lowery
    The thin crop of safety draft prospects is matched by a shallow veterans pool. What are the Cowboys to do, with such a crying need at free safety? Abram Elam offered an underwhelming center-fielder last year, pitching goose eggs in the interceptions and passes defensed categories.

Elam may be hard to top, however. A low franchise figure for safeties pushed many teams to lock up their free agents to be. The Raiders tagged Tyvon Branch, and the Titans did the same with Michael Griffin. San Francisco blocked Dashon Goldson from the market. Atlanta inked Thomas DeCoud to a long-term deal. These moves made a pedestrian group more so.
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    yep, not a lot to choose from
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think the only two "musts" in FA are CB and Safety. I think Newman is gone, and with Jenkins coming off an injury, we only have him and Scandrick (who seems to be better suited for the slot). At Safety, we've only got Sensy signed up. Church is still an unknown as a starter.

I think we can get a quality starting OG in the Draft if need be. It's a pretty deep group this year. The Safety group in the Draft is considered weak.
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'd take a shot on Dwight Lowery .
  5. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I actually really like Dwight Lowery. I didn't think he was a real possibility because I thought his current team would lock him up.
  6. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,656 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    What about Melvin Bullitt? Indy just released him.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I worked for San Jose State's sports info department while Lowery was there. He's a hard-working, good kid and football player. He's got good instincts and was pushed out of New York when they drafted Kyle Wilson and brought on Cromartie.

He'd actually make a lot of sense here in that he can legitimately man-up as a cornerback when you need him and has shown he can play safety.
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I liked him coming out of college, sure, bring him on... shouldn't cost too much...
  9. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,669 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Corner:Carr, Safety:Landry(1 year deal) he can sign a prove he can stay healthy deal
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,618 Messages
    1,088 Likes Received
    He's hardly played in the last two years.
  11. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,666 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Lowery was a stud last year actually. I would definitely like picking him up.