1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN:Bunting: Either-Or Decisions, Down the Rounds

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,020 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/03/bunting-either-or-decisions-down-rounds.html
    Posted by Rafael at Thursday, March 22, 2012
    Part Three of this week's chat with the National Football Post's Wes Bunting continues the grinding on evenly graded prospects at the same position.

Cowboys Nation: Let's move to the 2nd round. The Cowboys have shown some interest in Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis. You've compared him to Sergio Kindle from Baltimore. You talked about his special teams skill. Let's talk about his pass rushing skill. It seems there's some projection involved, because he was a 4-3 linebacker. Did he ever rush off the edge, with his hand on the ground, the way Dont'a Hightower did for Alabama?

Wes Bunting: He's a more linear athlete. They rushed him with his hand on the ground at times. They rushed him standing up. He reminds me a little bit of a Brooks Reed-type player. He reminds me a little bit of Sergio Kindle when he came out. He can play with power and leverage. I don't see a big-time sack guy, but because of his good first step, his violence and his motor, I think he can be a good pass rusher. Not big time, but productive. And he's a heck of a special teams player who can play sideline to sideline, so I think he can develop in the run game and be a good three-down player for you.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Could be a target to replace Spencer. This is going to be an interesting draft. Hope JJ and crew don't blow it. We need 3 starters by year 2 from this draft.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He's still just a puppy when it comes to learning how to be a pass rusher. He played RB and Safety in high school in 8 man football. Played Runningback and MLB his frosh year at OU. Moved to SAM linebacker his sophomore year. Last year he played defensive end as a junior, and then left college early. Mayock said he put on the game tape of him against Baylor last year and the OU coaches had him playing 5 tech (3-4 DE) at 6'2 255. The guy has never been settled into a position and allowed to learn the nuances and techiniques of his craft. It's the same reason why Ratliff fell to the 7th round after bouncing around all over the place at Auburn.

Meaningless factoid .... Lewis' small hometown of Dewar, OK (pop. 800) is separated by about 3 miles from Troy Aikman's hometown of Henryetta.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,370 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Dont want Irvin. Love to see them get Rodriguez.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I have no doubt Bunting watches a lot of tape, but more and more by the day I question whether or not he knows what the heck he's watching.