1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN: Bunting: Late Pre-Draft Buzz

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/04/bunting-late-pre-draft-buzz.html
    Posted by Rafael at Friday, April 20, 2012

McClellin: a top-20 pick?
    I chatted with the NFP's Wes Bunting this morning and got a second opinion on some of the bigger draft rumors to float this week.

Cowboys Nation: The rumor mill has spun out of control in the last couple of days. A lot of rising and falling. I'll throw some stuff out: Stephon Gilmore is now a top 10 player. Courtney Upshaw has fallen out of the 1st. Bruce Irvin may get into the late 1st. Riley Reiff could really fall.

I could buy one of those rumors, but there are about six of them out there now.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,932 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    LOL @ the team that takes Irvin in the first. I wouldn't bat an eye if we took McClellin at 14.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    There is a lot of risk to taking Irvin in the first but I'd be fine with us taking him in the second if we go to another position in the first.

I think the top of the 2nd is a good place to get an OLB.

I think the middle second is a good place to get an OG.

The end of the second is a good place for CB.

DE is hard but the good ones get gobbled early and then the projects are sprinkled throughout the draft.
  4. cds99

cds99 Member

130 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I would love for us to have Gilmore. I know db isn't now a top priority for us, even though we do need another I would love to have this guy and him wear a star on his helmet
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Neither would I as long as Cox and Barron are gone.
  6. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Irvin is going to be a great player. mark my words
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received

Same thing was said about Chris Johnson.
  8. theogt

43,932 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    And he wasn't worth a 1st either. He's been very average outside of one good season. He's a flash in the pan that had one thing going for him -- pure speed.
  9. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I'd be perfectly okay with Bruce Irvin as our #45 pick. Nothing before that would be acceptable for him though.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  11. theogt

43,932 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    4.0 YPA backs are a dime a dozen. And they don't help you win games. It's a complete waste of a pick.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I love him too but he is a high risk player and shouldn't be selected in the same round.

I think the same thing about Konz but his issues are medical.
  13. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with you to a point. I think if Irvin is worth the risk in the late 20s to the end of round one. I would not take him at 14. as for Kontz I think he should no way be picked in the first round. mid 2nd into the 3rd
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I like Irvin too-but just don't see anyone spending that high a pick on a character risk with a few question marks on the field as well.

McClellin looks to be a pipe dream in the second now. How disappointing is that? I'm with Dogo, if Cox, Barron and Ingram are all gone, I would think long and hard about him at #14. Prefer if they could move down four or five spots though.