1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN:Bunting, Part II: Guards, Guards, Guards

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/12/bunting-part-ii-guards-guards-guards.html
    Posted by Rafael at Friday, December 30, 2011
    [IMG]
    Brandon Washington
    Two underclassmen have made a deep guard class deeper

Part II of Cowboys Nation's weekly chat with the National Football Post's Wes Bunting examines the guard class, and the quality options Dallas could find as late as the 3rd round:

Cowboys Nation: Aside from David DeCastro, are there any other guards who merit 1st round attention?
    Wes Bunting: It's a really good guard class. I'd say [Kelichi] Osememe from Iowa State, even though there are some scouts I've talked to who have concerns about his character. It's not bad-bad, it's just they have some concerns about the kid. But there are some concerns that could cause him to fall.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,665 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    He has DeCastro listed as the second best player in the draft but the Cowboys only have a shot at him if they lose Sunday. Washington is an interesting guy because he could probably play four positions well. That said I am interested.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,525 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I'd say definitely take DeCastro if he falls because he would be by far the BPA at that point in the draft. A great OG can be a building block, especially if he is paired with a great OT. I think we could put him at RG or LG and either way we would be great at running the ball because both Free and Tyron are good run blockers.

However, if DeCastro is gone I would definitely look elsewhere in the first and try to fill the OG slot in the second or third. I don't want to wait any longer than that because I want a guy who can start next year. We actually managed to get 3 young guys to start this year in a 2nd year Center, a rookie 7th round OG and a rookie first rounder. I think we could definitely get a starter at OG in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think the OL looks like this next year:

Smith rookie Killa Kosier/Holland/Arkin/Nagy/Costa Free

It'll be a pretty wide open competition for that final spot.
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Washington, and Nix, are interesting. But Silatolu will be better than both IMO. I am glad others, like Bunting, have finally started talking about this guy. Silatolu is a beast and he should be available between rounds 3-5.
  5. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,593 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Joe Looney out of Wake Forest could be a good one. Scouts Inc. reported that he has a massive frame, light on his feet and would be a solid day 2 pick. Just FYI.