1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: Cowboys Defensive Line Rotation - Return of the Jimmy Johnson Wave

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 11, 2014.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,598 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Neither will Hatcher
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    You are right. Keeping Hayden on the field every play is the best approach. :rolleyes:
  4. CyberB0b

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    A fresh body who lacks talent, still lacks talent. The hope is that McClain is an upgrade, but I doubt it. While a rotation of players helps to get the best out of them, (in some cases, some players need a chance to get in a rhythm), you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  5. big dog cowboy

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    Tyler (Arlington)
    Whos the biggest surprise so far in practice as far as production? Offense/Defense?

Todd Archer
    (12:51 PM)

Terrell McClain on defense. Honestly didn't know much about him. He's been really good. On offense, it's a little harder because there are more known commodities, but I like what Tim, Benford has done in a backup role at receiver. Lance Dunbar's been good too.
    guag likes this.
  6. CyberB0b

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Have they put on pads yet?
    scottsp likes this.
  7. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,579 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    Wouldn't you like to hear that folks are doing well out there doing whatever they're doing, whether they're in pads or not? I would think that excelling at this point in comparison to your peers (even with no pads) is at least a bit encouraging.

Don't mean to single you out or anything, just speaking in general to those who seem to want to completely disregard anything that they've seen thus far because of a lack of pads.
    big dog cowboy likes this.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    because we have seen OTA queens look bad when the pads come on
  9. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,579 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    I suppose that's true, but can't you say the same about training camp, preseason, etc?
  10. CyberB0b

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Definitely, but when a guy has a proven track record of being a journeyman in the league, don't use his OTA work as "proof" that he is something he isn't.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  11. big dog cowboy

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    No it's easier to think that replacing Hayden (the worst DL in the league) with anyone isn't an upgrade.
  12. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,528 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    That's a good point.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Could not agree more. Jimmy's front 7 did not become dominant until they brought in Charles Haley. Jimmy believed in speed, toughness and waves of fresh players on the DL but without the threat of a proven pass rusher, it was a good D but not the BEST D that it soon became with Haley's arrival.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    Trouble is, I don't know if they are more talented than the group we had on the field for most of last year, even with Ware hobbled. I think the depth is better than the street free agents we kept bringing in, but the starting group could be weaker, so it might balance out ... leaving us with a defense that still could end up around 32nd.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    They had pads on when I studied McClain in 2013 and 2011.

He was significantly better in 2013 than as a rookie in 2011. Both his skill and physical ability were better.

Having said that, he was probably as good in 2011 as Hayden was last season.

Playing the 1 will be even better for him than playing the zero like he did last season.
  16. CyberB0b

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    He must be the best kept secret in the league then! Aren't you the guy who keeps hyping up Jeremy Parnell? Sorry if I don't trust your evaluation. Why hasn't the guy started a game in over 4 years? He only had 1 game in 2013 where he had more than one tackle. He might be better than Hayden, but there is no way to tell based on his body of work in the league so far.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    McClain has only played for 3 years and started all of 2011.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    McClain was a guy the team liked on tape. They went out and signed him like the 2nd or 3rd day of FA, so he was clearly part of the plan. If he looked good on film in 2013 (which explains why they signed him) and looked good in OTAs and is replacing a street free agent for us, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say he's probably going to be a decent upgrade for us at that position.
  19. big dog cowboy

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    I don't know. Last years tape on Hayden was pretty impressive.
  20. CyberB0b

3,996 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    So why was he let go after his rookie season? Why has he not started a game since? Why did he not record multiple tackles in more than one game last year?