1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN:Cowboys Draft 2011: They're Garrett's Guys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Cowboys Draft 2011: They're Garrett's Guys
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/04/cowboys-draft-2011-theyre-garretts-guys.html
    [IMG]
    Posted by Rafael at Saturday, April 30, 2011Head coach Jason Garrett spoke of "the Cowboys way'' in his first press conference after becoming the team's permanent head coach. In a post-draft press conference today, Garrett spelled out in greater detail what that means, claiming that all the team's draftees were ''the right kind of guys." All shared common qualities not uniform on the current roster.

Garrett said all Dallas selections shared a passion for football, were physical and at the same time were athletic. Garrett was tasked with outlining the qualities in each of Saturday's picks and in each instance, physical play, and the consistent ability to finish the play were cited.
  2. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,041 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    i really love listening to garrett talk, but let's not pretend that this is some kind of amazing insight into these players. everyone at this level is *supposed* to have a passion for football, and be physical and athletic.

(what do you expect, a couple of out-of-shape refrigerator repairmen?)

every coach is saying the same thing about the guys his team just drafted. and every dupe is thinking, "wow, we just got a bunch of guys who *really* love this game, and on top of that, they're big, strong, fast dudes, too! awesome!"

:laugh1:
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    That is the biggest key to drafting a player to see if that player wants to be the best, work hard to get there, his heart, intensity, and plays to the whistle, finishes the play.
  4. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,795 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Not Necessarily. We would have drafted more Jenkins type.yuk!
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,627 Messages
    5,540 Likes Received
    By this I'm guessing Garrett is referencing the fact we drafted 5 team captains I believe. Simply outstanding.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Bet. Here and now I'm cristening this draft class: The 'tuders. (attitude)

Five high character guys from their respective teams. There wasn't a risky pick from the bunch. Not a dirty player off the board!

Wonder what haircuts will be looking like with this year's crop? ;)
  7. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

2,027 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    So right! And on top of it, every backup we have is suddenly worthless right now.

But, if nothing else, I'm glad that Garrett has stuck to the board, and stayed away from guys with character issues. Making decisions independent of the marketing perspective is the best way to go.