1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN:Cowboys Nation Chat, Part II: Which Defensive End Fits the Cowboys Best?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Cowboys Nation Chat, Part II: Which Defensive End Fits the Cowboys Best?
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/03/cowboys-nation-chat-part-ii-which.html
    Posted by Rafael at Thursday, March 17, 2011
    Update: Penthouse the DMN printed my letter chat with Bob Sturm!

Part two of Cowboys Nation's weekly chat with The National Football Post's Wes Bunting compares the top 3-4 defensive ends, some small school products and your questions.
    CowboysNation: I have a question about the defensive ends. I was in a chat this morning with a writer at the Dallas Morning News and we had the same inclination on the Marcell Dareus vs. Nick Fairley question. The Cowboys ends had some trouble defending the run last year and we both suspect they're in the Dareus camp because he's got more lead in his base, so to speak.

Cam Jordan, in the 3-4s you see today, I think he and Fairley may be the most versatile. I think he's got similar run stopping ability to Fairley and J.J. Watt. I'd say he has more pass rush ability than J.J. Watt and Marcell Dareus, but what's interesting about Cam Jordan, and you can do the same with Nick Fairley: you can line him up as a 5-technique on all three downs. You can put him on the nose, the way the Steelers do with Ziggy Hood [and which Dallas does on 1st and 2nd downs with Jay Ratliff] and let him one-gap and get up the field.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I like alot of 3-4 DE in this draft and all about the same level for me. 3-4 DE aren't game changers or play makers so top 10 pick is warrented to me. I sat either trade up for Peterson or trade back for a RT or DE.
    Dareus is more of a NT to me and I think he would be perfect in RYan system as a NT.
    My top 3-4 DE
    Jordan, Watt, Wilkenson, Liuget, Heyward, Ballard, Jenkins, Ellis(could also be a NT),Guy, Cedric Thorton, David Carter, Chris Neild.