1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: CN: The Williams Scenario

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    The Williams Scenario

Posted by Rafael at Sunday, March 04, 2012

http://www.cowboysnation.com/2012/03/williams-scenario.html

I'm ready to spend some cash!

A National Football Post story this morning speculates that the Cowboys may pursue Mario Williams should he enter the market on March 13th.

A Houston Chronicle piece this morning says that Williams will not receive the Texans tag, so he's going to be available.

Yet the story in Cowboys-land this morning has Anthony Spencer receiving the franchise tag. Doesn't this close off a Williams pursuit? Not at all.

As long as Spencer does not sign his tender, his contract is not guaranteed for 2012 and the Cowboys could renounce his tag at any time, pushing Spencer onto the market as an unrestricted free agent.

Tagging Spencer may just be a short-term insurance policy. The Cowboys can ask him not to sign it and give them a few days to pursue other available options. The top players always go quickly. Their contracts are the biggest issued and they're done when teams have maximum cap space. Recall how quickly Albert Haynesworth signed with Washington the year he became a UFA. The deal was rumored to be worked out in the hours prior to the window's opening and his signing was announced just minutes after players could sign.

I doubt Mario Williams would last 24 hours on the market....
  2. Gooch

Gooch E-Dog

624 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I guess my question is, why wouldn't he sign his tender right away? Is there any advantage to Spencer to not sign right away?
  3. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,758 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    He could be FA if we rescind the offer.

Would be nice to have him do that and sign Mario and rescind his offer allowing him to become a FA and net a nice contract.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,247 Messages
    1,578 Likes Received
    Well signing right away would mean that he's going to play on a one year contract and he probably wants a more long-term deal. But I'd be hard pressed to turn down nearly 9 mil if I were him.
  5. Gooch

Gooch E-Dog

624 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This would be my though as well. Why turn down 9 mil for a one year contract? I guess I'm not sure what Spencers value is in free agency this year.
  6. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,663 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    How Ironic would it be if Spencer leaves and ends up in Philly, who traded us the pick we selected Spencer with? He would probably become a pro-bowler there the way our luck goes.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,247 Messages
    1,578 Likes Received
    Why would Philly sign him when they already have Cole and Babin?
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,281 Likes Received
    A couple of reasons. One, he is looking for more of a long termed stability with his pay raise. Second, a new contract, will have a rather large upfront/signing bonus. As the story from agents go, take the money now...