1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CN: When It Comes to Cowboys Nose Tackles, Check the Transmission

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 17, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    When It Comes to Cowboys Nose Tackles, Check the Transmission
    http://www.cowboysnation.com/2011/04/when-it-comes-to-cowboys-nose-tackles.html
    [IMG]

Posted by Rafael at Sunday, April 17, 2011
    The annual search for a nose tackle to pair with Jay Ratliff continues. The question, as always, concerns the type of nose the Cowboys want. Conventional wisdom holds that the 3-4 needs a massive 325-335 lb. plugger. Dallas would not mind one, certainly, but that conventional wisdom only holds if the nose tackle candidate can run.

Most 3-4s do not two-gap all the time. In fast, most NFL 3-4s two gap only a small percentage of the time, if at all. Rob Ryan's brother Rex claimed in a coaches clinic presentation a few years ago that his Ravens' D two-gapped at most 15% of the time. The rest of the time the nose was slanted towards the center or lined up as a 1 or 3 technique, responsible for penetrating a single gap and chasing the ball if it went away from him.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,255 Messages
    3,188 Likes Received
    With the possible medical problems of Taylor I'm not interested in anyone else. Brent and Ratliff will just have to hold the fort.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,751 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Kenrick Ellis, come on down!
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This guy has a lot of red flags. I wonder if he's even on the Cowboys' board?
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,751 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    He is. :)
  6. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,556 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Wishful thinking or you heard something?
  7. fishspill

fishspill Active Member

942 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I'm with you. Even if it takes #40 or shortly thereafter. He's someone I take the risk for.
  8. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,337 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I would be interested in ND's Ian Williams in the 4th.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,751 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Ugh, I hate being THAT guy but yeah, I heard something.

They had him in for a private workout anyway, so it's no secret they're interested. What I don't know is if they see him, as I do, as a guy that can play the 5 technique as well.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what the heck is wrong with Josh Brent...he did real well for not having much time in training camp or an off season worth of work.
  11. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    There is nothing wrong with Brent. You have to think this way buddy. First Spears, Hatcher, Bowen and another DE, cant think of his name right now are all unrestricted free agents. Cowboys most likely wont sign all 3 or 4.

Then remember Ratliff is 30, or so. The Cowboys most likely want to move Ratlilff to DE and if you look at Rob Ryan defenses, as well as rex ryans, they have always or generally had a big NT. We dont have a big plugger type NT.

Dont forget also that Ratliff just came off of elbow surgery and didnt have a great year last year.

So, Cowboys in my estimation are preparing for the future at NT under rob ryans defense and wanting to rest Ratlff even more, or possibly play some at DE too. When Brent was in some last year, he did get ran on somewhat. Of course, rookies will do that, takes times to get accostomed to NFL. :star:
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I see Ellis more as a 5 tech DE than I do a NT. He gets to high and loses leverage to be a NT.
    I would love to be able to get Ellis, Ian Willaims, and Thorton in this draft. Get a day one starting LDE, and run stuffing NT that can come in on running downs, and a developmental future RDE.
  13. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,877 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I see Ellis as a DE as well.
  14. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Me too in rob ryan's defense, defensive linemen must be able to play multiple positions, even cover on some situations in a zone coverage to fool offenses
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,751 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Welcome on board.

I think he can play any position in a 3-4 front and floated the idea of him playing the "Nagta Role" for the Cowboys ages ago, I don't know if actual NFL teams see him that way though.
  16. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I also like Jarvis Jenkins in the 3rd if we miss on Eliss. No one is talking about Jenkins for some reason.