1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Coach K - 903 Wins

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by peplaw06, Nov 15, 2011.

1. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Since I have him in my sig as Greatest of All Time, I figured I'd do the honors on this one.

Most wins in NCAA men's basketball history!!
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    One for each time his name has been mispronounced.
  3. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Hope he can get over 1,000 wins. :bow:
  4. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    In the lead up to this milestone this past weekend I saw a clip of his introductory press conference at Duke, and it was hilarious. The Duke AD at the time mispronounced his name in introducing him, K comes up to the podium and his first line is, "First of all it's K-R-Z-Y-Z-E-W-S-K-I."
  5. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I honestly don't think he or anyone in his family actually knows how to pronounce it.

I don't know if anyone alive does.

It's probably one of those things where a long time ago someone just gave up on telling people how to pronounce it and went with the current pronunciation.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: @ anyone who thinks Coach K is even close to Phil Jackson's level.

He's a great college coach, but would he have that kind of success in the NBA? Hell no even he knew that which is why he turned down the Lakers job in 2004. He had a perfect opportunity to follow in Phil's footsteps and lead the Lakers back to the promise land.

For those of you who say oh well Phil had great players yeah that's true he has. Phil has coached three of the ten greatest players in NBA history. Michael Jordan the undisputed greatest player of all time. Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant who along with Tim Duncan were the greatest players of this era. However every great coach needs great players to win period. Name me one coach who won a championship without a great player or great players. You simply can't. It's no coincidence that MJ, Shaq, and Kobe couldn't win **** until Phil came aboard.

Phil Jackson is without question the greatest coach in sports history. 11 NBA championships in 20 years. Are you ****ing kidding me. That's simply ridiculous to have that kind of success. That's more than a 50% clip.
  7. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Who is this directed at?

Has anyone mentioned Phil Jackson?
  8. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Phil is better than him too.

Winning 11 NBA titles is far more impressive than winning 10 in the NCAA.

Not saying he's not a great coach because he was a legendary coach, but he's not better than Phil. It's not a knock though because no one was/is better than Phil.

The OP said Coach K was the G.O.A.T.
  10. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Within his realm is probably what he meant.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,751 Messages
    1,670 Likes Received
    Congratulations to Coach K. Well done.

:)
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    It is a shame he came out in support of Joe Pa and blamed his mishandling of the situation on Joe Pa being older than dirt. I guess it was cool to rape kids back in the day.

I like Coach K, but he is too close to the situation to remain objective and his statement yesterday was asinine.
  13. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    It's apples and oranges. Just cause they're both basketball coaches doesn't mean they can be compared by any sort of objective standard. NCAA is completely different than NBA for the sheer number of players/teams and the tournament format alone. I could just as easily say Phil couldn't be a successful college coach cause he wouldn't be able to recruit for ****.

K's better.

Don't you dare derail my thread!!
  14. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Sorry. I was just a bit surprised by his comments yesterday. I had no intention of derailing the thread.

I am a big east guy (Seton Hall), and Coach K kicked our butt several times when I was there. He is an excellent coach.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received

I love it when 16 year olds lecture people about the greatest anything of all time.
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First of all I'm 17 not 16 and age doesn't have anything to do with it. You don't have to be 30 to see Phil is the G.O.A.T.
  17. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Naivete at it's best.
  18. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Coach K, Phil Jackson, Red A. and John Wooden are all great coaches.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,403 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Rat face has had a great career, too bad he recruits so many white dbags.
  20. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still don't see what being young has to do with anything. Bottom-line it's much harder to coach professional basketball than college basketball. The players in the pros are much better and the competition is much greater. That much cannot be disputed. That is why Phil Jackson is the greatest of all time. He won 11 championships in the best and most competitive basketball league in the world.