1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Coaching Trees

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,882 Messages
    4,453 Likes Received
    I going to throw up this gif which is ok for the overall coaching tree and try to provoke some conversation. I don't want to say too much as I'm going to get into this some later on.

Hopefully it will show up decently. Just click on it and I think it will popup in a new window and be enlarged enough to read.

[IMG]
  2. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,085 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Very cool visual...I've never seen anything like it for the tree.
  3. jobberone

38,882 Messages
    4,453 Likes Received
    There are a lot out there and I don't completely agree with this one but its ok and visually, I agree, its kinda kool. :)
  4. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It needs another branch where Rex Ryan is for Rob
  5. jobberone

38,882 Messages
    4,453 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's not perfect.
  6. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    It's interesting to see in this form, but there are a number of things that are somewhat arbitrary and not accurate. Chuck Noll was more of a disciple of Don Shula (was his defensive coordinator in Baltimore), John Fox more from Jim Fassel or even Art Shell (was a defensive coordinator for both the Giants and Raiders), Jack Del Rio under Brian Billick, and Mike Shanahan under Dan Reeves.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    I've seen this one before but it has now been added to. I don't agree with Garrett under Fassell too much.
  8. jobberone

38,882 Messages
    4,453 Likes Received
    Like I said just there to stimulate conversation. I'd put Garrett under Turner who is under Zampese in the Coryell tree. I'd put Coryell in the Gillman forest under the Brown umbrella. But you could argue differently easily.
  9. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,372 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    I did not see Tom Landry on the list. Did I miss him?
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    No, he's not there. He would be under Jim Lee Howell along with Lombardi. Landry's tree would be rather impressive. Ditka, Reeves, etc.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Not really sure what the criteria is for falling under someone's tree.

Sean Payton is listed under Parcells but it looks like his first gig in the NFL would have been as QB coach under Ray Rhodes in 1997. His first OC gig was under Fassel in 2000.

Seems like the lines are drawn more on apparent connection rather than actual lineage.
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Landry isn't there because he isn't under the Paul Brown or Sid Gillman trees.

[IMG]
  13. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,874 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    When I think back to the offenses of Air Coryell and now watch what Garrett has going on, its painfully obvious that the Red apple fell very far from the tree!
  14. jobberone

38,882 Messages
    4,453 Likes Received
    Let's stay on topic talking about coaching trees. We are not going to turn football threads into bashing someone threads. /mod hat off
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Nice attempt. It gets tricky when you place an offensive minded coach in a defensive minded coach's coaching tree and vice versa. The only exception would be Tom Landry's coaching tree (Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, etc.).

Parcells worked for Erhart in NE first before taking a position with Perkins in NY. And Shanahan should not be under Seifert but directly under Bill Walsh. Even though he was on Dan Reeves' staff longer and before working under Walsh.

Wade Phillips would fall under both Buddy Ryan and Bum Phillips' tree.

Del Rio is more a Dungy disciple (his DC in Minnesota) than a Billick disciple. Under Billick he was a LB coach. His DC was Marvin Lewis I believe.

And Garrett would fall under Nick Saban's or even Jimmy Johnson's/Norv Turner's tree IMO. It was Sean Payton who was an OC under Jim Fassel before taking a similar but lesser position with Parcells in Dallas. But before he was an OC under Fassel he learned from Jon Gruden in Philly.
  16. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,874 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    I was basically saying that the lineage in this case wasnt very evident.

And maybe it doesnt have to be evident.