1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cole Beasley And Why He's A Secret Star

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    7,578 Likes Received
    You can see the first down marker on the right side of the field there.
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,959 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Yep, you're right.

I'm just nit picking to be honest. I hate the offseason.
    guag likes this.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    7,578 Likes Received
    Yeah. You and me both. It is always annoying when a designed play ends just short of the marker, though. I get you. And maddening on third downs.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,567 Messages
    5,492 Likes Received
    That would shake things up.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    It should be fun seeing how they use these wideouts this year.
    Beasley's ability to get open combined with Harris special teams prowess keeps Harris off the field most of the time in 4 wr sets.

But it always seemed like he was making big plays when he did get a chance.
    Sure enough...I looked it up:
    14 targets
    9 catches
    2 TDs
    5 1st downs

So 7 out 9 catches were for TDs or 1st downs for Harris pretty crazy for someone that usually runs shorter routes.
  6. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,085 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Yeah looks like that safety there is in great position - he only breaks after seeing the ball thrown - after Witten curls the S is still there to cut off the angle between Romo and Harris.I think you're write Harris would have to jump over the top (like Bryant would), but I see that pass as inviting an interception. imho...maybe if Romo fires a bullet he beats the safety.
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,959 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    It's not an impossible throw as the safety is clearly focused more on the multi year pro bowl playing future HOF TE than the 4th or 5th option who is really a kick returner, but consider that

1) Harris isn't burning past his man
    2) Harris isn't great at the jump and get
    3) Safety could recover from Tony's angle
    4) It isn't his read
    5) Honestly, that pass isn't Tony's forte. That would be an Eli Manning specialty, but even then Harris is an x-factor.

Yes - I am this bored to break down a play that was for good yardage and successful.
    vlad likes this.
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,117 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    The TDs count as first downs. Only 5 out of his 9 catches went for 1st downs or TDs.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Ah, thanks. So highest TD rate, but a low sample size.
  10. dbonham

dbonham Active Member

308 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    The only thing keeping Beasley from being the full time slot guy is the inability to motion Dez to the slot effectively while he is on the field. Street will be the guy for that package hopefully.

I've seen him get mauled in press coverage as well, as he makes his living in the 5 yards where a CB can basically ride you piggy back. You'll notice that Romo does not throw him open since pressing Cole during his break can cause an int, as it did during some game that I can't recall. This is fine since he is often open by the time Romo can collect the snap. His size also rules out those damnable 5 yard curls that Witten runs, which is fine by me
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    He's a Secret Star because the Secret Sauce rides the IR Bench right beside him. Honestly if Cole sees the field on 70% of the plays for one he's not the greatest option for run blocking, two he'll be injured sooner than later with that kind of work load it's like Seen Lea .. not if, but when.
  12. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,692 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    Yeah...I was like Eric Decker is 6'3", not a typical slot guy....was thinking there was someone else and I was having a brain fart.
  13. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    ya just hope the coaching staff sees the value that we do. He was the other 3rd down and short go-to guy besides Witten. In fact, it got to the point where there were some cases when we didn't bring him in on an important 3rd and short passing situation and I was wondering why the heck we didn't. Guy is money
  14. mitchell2254

mitchell2254 Active Member

767 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    I love him. He is like a white Terry Glenn. Before that sounds wrong.. I loved TG.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,779 Likes Received
    Harris comes open after the defense reacts to Romo's throw.
  16. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Thats what Im seeing too, and how I see defenses adjusting this season will be safety or LB help and if that happens, Dez and Williams will be able to take full advantage of the space left open from the safety sucking up, and if they want to play that game with their LBrs, then Witten and Escobar can take full advantage.
    With an improved OL, that extra second will allow Romo the time finally for the deeper routes to take advantage of defensive adjustments on the inside slants to Beas.
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    With all due respect, those plays only show that a receiver with even a modicum of speed and ability to execute a play can get open.
    I see nothing spectacular in what Beasley did.
  18. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

988 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    tyke1doe, I have always respected your knowledge of the game, but Im surprised that you miss on what Beasleys' strength is.
    He will never be an elite WR in this league, but he does the one thing in this offense for Garret, that this team has been trying to do for a while now, and thats get space quick on the underneath cut, inside slant. Beasley has good hands and is able to get that separation at the cut, that is his two skills that keep him on the 53.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,325 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    If every WR with modicum of speed and ability could do it, then the game would revolve around marginally talented slot WR's.

It shows what I saw all year long, he's not just getting open, he is badly beating the corner. Getting a good 2-3 steps. Very good WR's in that slot may get 1 step on corner and then you hope they are good at catching it in stride which most are not good at. That's why Welker was so popular and coveted by the Patriots when he was with the Dolphins. He wasn't going to burn defenses deep very often, but he could get wide open underneath. Tough to knock a guy that can catch 100+ 10-yard passes at 75%+ clip.

YR
  20. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

851 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    The Y receiver has been defined by Welker - quick, tough, smart. They absolutely must have this combination, or they'll get killed on direct hits over the middle. Cruz, Cobb, and Harvin have also had good success, and Tavon Austin may be the most exciting. Injury will always be a part of their game, as it has been with Welker; if they're quick enough to consistently get separation, then they're small enough to get nailed. Hope Beas is tough enough.

Happy Fathers' Day, guys.