1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cole Beasley And Why He's A Secret Star

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia!

19,896 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    Seeing the late breaking flood of support for a player most wanted in the unemployment line brings a tear to my eye. There is hope for humanity.
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,719 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    Again, just judging from the clips, it doesn't seem like he did anything special. Maybe, I'm wrong. But I'm just not that impressed. Not from those three clips.
  3. tyke1doe

20,719 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    You're probably right. I don't follow it as closely as you do. I just wasn't impressed by those clips. It seems like he had wide open field and merely took and angle to get him open. I think it's a sad commentary on all the average wide receivers, if no one else could get open against the coverage Beasley was facing. Then again, I haven't reviewed all his plays so I'm not bad-mouthing him as a receiver.
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,392 Messages
    1,421 Likes Received
    Dez got open all of the time, Romo either didn't see him or wasn't pulling the trigger. I think that is why you heard some rumblings about Garrett and Romo being too buddy-buddy and not pulling Romo out in practice or yelling at him to get going. Williams was too inconsistent. Witten was just used incorrectly.

But, not many slot corners get that wide open, regardless of the coverage.

Let's do a bit a math.

Let's say Beasley can get 100 catches for 1,000 yards. And when we throw to him, it is completed 75% of the time.

Essentially, that's 133-134 attempts to Beasley. Imagine if you had a backup tailback that ran it 133-134 times for 1,000 yards. That's a big deal and it's extremely efficient and a good way to move the ball. With somebody like Dez, you're probably hoping more for 80 passes for 1,300+ yards at a 60-65% rate. It's much flashier and certainly extremely effective, but it overshadows the potential of what Beasley could bring to the table. If he can become a good blocker on running plays, then we can use 11 personnel under center and threaten to run and pass and do it effectively.

YR
  5. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,353 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    See the ava? Been there since TC last year when folks talking about cutting him. Dude is a Beast. This is a nothing thread. The Beaz is the least of DC issues. And for all of you Harris fans, he is not The Beaz. Beaz is a quicker, better route runner with the most dependable hands of anyone on the team. Harris is a return guy with dodgeability(sp) that can play some slot and prob start as a 3 on other teams. But Beaz would start as a 3 on nearly every team. He is just that quick and can catch that well in the slot.
  6. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,353 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    not for moving the chains. Witten gets the blanket now. Beqaz is the guy who is the drive substainer
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    The kid is fun to watch.
    But he could fart on the sideline and get a dozen threads in his honor.
    It's ongoing amusement, at least.
  8. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,790 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    easy solution to that is don't click on the thread.
  9. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received

No, really. I like Beasley, so by habit I click on his threads. I just find it amusing at the fervor there is for him at times. No big deal. And no need for you to be a _____ about it.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  10. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,911 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    People like underdogs. It's fun to root for the undersized white dude playing a position dominated by big black dudes. It's the same reason I root for black hockey players or Asian NBA players. Someone going against the grain and succeeding is usually worthy of support.
  11. DFWJC

23,632 Messages
    2,460 Likes Received
    I'm sure that is part of it, yes.
  12. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,017 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    No, he isn't.
    DFWJC likes this.
  13. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,576 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    not to sound like someone who acts like race is no factor in in sports... but the slot position has had several star white players...
    And Bees is just darn good in the slot....
  14. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,911 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    That's true but it's still not the norm. Also, it seems like every time Dallas gets a smaller sized white dude in there he doesn't last (Coale and Amendola spring to mind) so for Dallas especially, it's an oddity.
  15. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,405 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    Also, I here he half moxie!
  16. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    He is a coach on the field, quicker than he looks, and will bring his lunch pail everyday and is always studying his play book when not on the field. :)
    CyberB0b likes this.
  17. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    2,332 Likes Received
    Clint Stoerner thread. He was so far back in the depth chart no one knew how to spell his name.
    DFWJC likes this.
  18. tyke1doe

20,719 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    LOL!!!!! :)
  19. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I see what your saying, it seems so simple. But defensive coordinators still have to figure out a way to stop it. And if they make adjustments to stop that, it will open up stuff for everyone else. I can't say that I see a superstar when I look at Beasley, but I will say he has good hands, he is quick and his height actually works in his favor since corners will have a hard time stopping him in those types of plays. The problem with him only contributing in those types of plays is that defenses through film study will start to key on it. If Beasley can prove that he can hurt defenses in different ways, then that gives defenses more to prepare for. Team that with a bunch of guys who have different tools to offer then a good offensive coordinator can consistently keep the opposing defense off balance . We Cowboy's fans should know all to well what happens when your defense is off balance, they've been mostly off balance for the last 3 years or more.
  20. tyke1doe

20,719 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    LOL! :)