1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Colin Cowherd

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Crown Royal, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,137 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    So because of my job, I am on the road a lot. I have, in the spirit of football season, foundmyself tuning into ESPN radio on XM while on the road. I am usually driving when the above stated tool is on the air.

Anyone ever heard this guy? His opinions on nearly everything are incredibly ridiculous and unsound. He made points on baseball today that are just nonsensical (and I don't even follow baseball).

Anyway - I digress. Some points he has made over the last two days that are utterly hilarious:

1) Today he interviewed Chris Mortenson and asked 'Five Questions on the NFL." One of them was "Why am I the ONLY ONE who sees that the Eagles are the best team in the NFL?"

Mortenson fumbled around for a second in disbelief "wha, um....I, ah...............because you're wrong? Are you kidding me? I actually have them losing this weekend!"

Coward: "What?! At home?! IN PHILLY!?"

Mort: "Yeah, well, I have it as a close game, but I have Dallas ahead."

Coward: "Wow...ok, well...we'll go on...."

Anyway - they stop talking about that, but they go a little later. Mort explains that the Bears are, in fact the best team in the NFC. When Mort gets off, the Cowherd's assistance laughs at him about the Eagles comment. Cowherd says he just likes the organization and team and thinks they are really good.

Anyway - that was ridiculous and I wanted to share.

Something he said yesterday: He feels that the suspension on Haynesworth is way too long. He says that he is impressed with the contrition of Haynesworth and doesn't feel anything he did warrants the baseball equivalent of 50 games. He brought up some DB in the early nineties who would headhunt & spear players to injure them and how he was never chastised. He thinks 2 games at most would be something. Also feels that if this had happened to a QB this would be different. I could go on and on about his flawed logic, but I won't, because anyone who heard it should be shocked at how stupid this guy is.

Just wondering if anyone listens to him on a regular basis. I just started listening 2-3 days ago, but I suspect that time is over. Every topic in every sport he talks about he makes poor, illogical points. The guy is comes off as un utter moron, not just regarding the NFL.
  2. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,875 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Yeah, man, that's Cowturd's schtick. He says things just to provoke a reaction. (No sports observer is as stupid as he pretends to be.)
  3. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,437 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I have happened across his show on a few occasions. He is a typical ESPN blowhard type. Just another sports radio knucklehead who likes to hear himself talk.
  4. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,601 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Cowherd is a Jim Rome wannabe. His schtik gets really stale really fast.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,824 Messages
    2,674 Likes Received
    Yeah, Cowherd really stinks. As do all the national ESPN guys other than Dan Patrick.

You'd think THE national sports station could do better, but I guess not.
  6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    you guys notice that every major sports coverage on ESPN, like the NBA, MLB and the NFL, needs to have a blow-hard, who has to be an arse about everything?

for the NFL it's Sean Salisbury

for MLB, Jon Kruk

NBA, Stephen A. SMith

I hate that attitude, that, "I'm right because I'm frowning at you and I talk mean" in sports reporting
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    the best thing about this jim rome wannabe is that he is not on the air in Dallas....So all his spewing of crap is not to be heard in Dallas.

Clowns like him can not compete in this market. The ticket makes all of those types of people look silly and they go belly up rather rapidly.
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,137 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    I mean, I partly hate him because I hate national media coverage - the topics are too broad for anything to be accurate or clear. But it's all I have.

But Mike & Mike is decent - they say dumb things, but like most national broadcasters, it's because they seldom have a good focus on the details of teams. Patrick is good, but he's just a likeable guy. Kuselias has his moments, though he can be grating as well.

But I, an avid hater of The Hardline and Galloway, have never heard such rubbish from anyone. Today he had a segment where he literally guaranteed that there was not a single baseball fan in the world that had more knowledge about their sport than the broadcasters, and that they should be like NFL fans who seem to know their place. This was stupid for two reasons: 1) baseball fans know their sport. They have to. it's so incredibly boring that they have to to enjoy it. 2) He's wrong - just because broadcasters have insider information, doesn't make them more right. And insider info can be wrong.

3) There are plenty of NFL fans that know more than broadcasters and, in some cases organizations. I guarantee you I could handpick a group of Zoners to take over, by committee, the GM position of the Lions and make them a winner.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowherd is a poor man's Jim Rome (And the rich man's version is pretty annoying in itself).
  10. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Agreed...I can't stand Rome.
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everytime I hear Stephen A. Smith, I have to convince myself that he is not the Anti-Christ
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't watch basketball and ESPN much anymore, and I damn never seen Quite Frankly, who has? so I'm good :D
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He pollutes the sportstalk world with his full frontal assaults of attention-horring and general douchebaggery.
  14. EveryoneElse

EveryoneElse Active Member

3,877 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anyone who listens to this guy is wasting their time.

Jim Rome is hardly tolerable.....I'd rather listen to gangsta rap than listen to either one of these guys.
  15. HighTechDave

HighTechDave 7 Years of College Down the Drain

2,061 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    another worthless piece of humanity, like Skip Bayless. Provide no value to society.
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that pretty much sums him up
  17. DefendeR

DefendeR Benched

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yo Crown,get Sirius.
    You'll get the NFL channel,Howard Stern and Bubba The Love Sponge.
    On the NFL channel you can listen to an array of good shows with Moose,Pat Kirwan,Gil Brandt,you name it.
  18. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Has anyone seen the footage of when Jim Everett lost his temper with Rome some thirteen years ago over a ludicrous nickname that Rome had been peddlinf for years and had intended as an insult. Rome was in the wrong when he disrespectfully spouted it off before Everett who had politely attended as a guest for his show. Everett turned the table over after a stern warning was delivered to Rome and mauled him to the ground on live cable television before exiting the studio. It was a shocking sight and if you knew little of what was going on then you would have thought that Jim Everett had flown off the handle with roid rage but once you understood the context and history of the situation I've begun to feel that perhaps Jim Rome very much deserved to hose himself as no doubt he did when a big angry NFL quarterback tosses a table out of the way because it impededs his direct route to your throat.
  19. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, I think that is what really made Rome.
  20. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I saw it, it's been shown on here quite a few times

"I bet you won't call me Chris again"

"I bet you I will...Chris"

*KLUNK* *CLANG* *OOF*