1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

College Football Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CanuckCowboysFan, Nov 25, 2010.

1. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I consider myself quite the "draftnik" but haven't been paying to much attention to Prince Amakumara this year.

I was looking at his stats and saw he had 0 picks this year, but his tackles are still there ( he had 10 against A&M) so it can't be that teams aren't throwing to his side.....

any explanation on this? How has he been playing.

BTW, it looks like we have a better shot at drafting this guy. Apparently there isn't much dropoff from him to Peterson.
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,300 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I think he'll still go top-10. Probably in the 7-10 range. He's legit too. Completely shuts down his side of the field. He doesn't get a lot of picks but that's because no one throws to his side. He gets tackles from defending the run mostly
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did he shut down Justin Blackmon?
  4. TheCoolFan

7,300 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    As well as Patrick Peterson shut down Julio Jones. Seriously though, the flea flicker was the biggest play for Blackmon (80 yards) so I can't fault Prince completely for that because not many CBs can stop that without having experience. And I think the other passes Blackmon caught that day were on other CBs.

If the only big play a CB gives up in a season is a flea flicker bomb, I'll take him happily.
  5. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're very wrong. I just watched highlights. All if Blackmons catches were on Prince except for one. He made Prince look STUPID. He also drew a PI call, and Prince had 1 PB. Brutal. Blackmon had 5 catches for 150 yards or something. Not impressive. He'll be facing much better receivers then Blackmon at the next level.
  6. TheCoolFan

7,300 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    [youtube]zVeWn3bwWTg[/youtube]

The only plays he got beat on that were because of bad coverage were the PA fake where he drew the PI and the flea flicker. The 40 yard completion where Weeden threw it up was just a better play by the WR of tracking an underthrown ball. Even the analyst said it was good coverage.

Learning to not bite on fakes will come with time and experience. Something that can definitely be coached up in the NFL. On pure passing plays where he was 1 on 1, he was stride for stride with Blackmon.

I read somewhere that opponents have only completed 11 passes in 10 games against Prince, while targeting him 40 times. This didn't count the A&M game but even in that game, A&M's WRs were also shutdown.

We'll see him tested again in the Big 12 Championship, either vs. OK State again or OU and Ryan Broyles.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How many catches for how many yards did Patrick Peterson give up to Julio Jones?

Your answer will indicate if you really even watched the game or simply looked at a box score.

BTW, I like Prince as a player a lot, I'm just not fond of hyperbole.

During the matchup between Justin Blackmon vs. Prince Amukamara, Blackmon caught 5 passes for 157 yards and 2 TDs, 4 of those catches were against Prince individually. Blackmon also was able to get a pass interference flag called on Prince after beating him deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVeWn3bwWTg
  8. TheCoolFan

7,300 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Peterson gave up a couple of 1st down catches to Jones, including I think 1 big gain of like 20 yards down the sideline. It's a different beast though. Jones is a possession WR who makes his living across the middle and on intermediate routes. Blackmon is more of a big play threat.

And I don't know what's the point. CBs get beaten all the time, even the top prospects. I think Peterson is the best CB in the draft, with Prince coming in a close 2nd. Giving up some passes to a few good college WRs doesn't mean they got exposed or anything.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I view the two prospects (Peterson and Prince) the same way you do, 1 and 1A.

I don't think we could go wrong with either of these players. I like each prospect for different reasons....

Patrick Peterson: I like his size as a CB (I also think he could be a dynamic FS...but that's another day), his ball skills, aggresiveness and want-to. He's also a physical player will look to make a play in the run game.

Prince Amukamara: Love his technique and natural ability. He's a player that may get better once he gets to the pros ala Darelle Revis once he gets with a professional staff. Prince is smart, physical and more than willing to come up in the running game. I don't think he's as tall as he is listed on many websites/publications. Regardless, he's still has more than adequate size for cornerback in the pros.
  10. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,129 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No. I wasn't impressed by his coverage against Blackmon, but then again nobody has been able to cover him this year.
  11. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,129 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I will say that Amukamara has looked incredible today. I would be thrilled if he was there for our 1st round pick.