1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

College text books $$$

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by chip_gilkey, Sep 22, 2011.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Does anyone else think that the price for these have gotten a LITTLE out of hand? I just bought books for my three classes and they were $200...USED!

I order online as much as possible to save money but the problem is most of the time you don't know for sure what book you'll be using until the first day of class. So either you pony up the extra dough to go to a campus book store or wait until the second week of class to get your book.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,032 Messages
    2,540 Likes Received
    $200 total?

You got a steal.
  3. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And at the end of semester, he'll probably be able to sell 'em ....
  4. dwdj75

dwdj75 Haters gonna Hate

310 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    My wife is in school for nursing.

Three classes, five books $750.00 dollars !?!?!?!

And that was searching high and low for the best deals on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other book sites.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    One of my astronomy books alone was 190... my professor has since written his own version, which he sells for about 50, I believe?
  6. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This. I had a used book last fall that was $200, that I didn't use after the first two weeks of class. The Calculus book I used for Summer II session, $200 used, new edition came out in the fall.

In a single summer session and the fall, I burned about a grand give or take. Total resale value was under $5.

Book prices have skyrocketed. Chemistry books are notorious for it because an Organic Chem book from three years ago is twice as thick in the new edition. Polymers books are out of date the day the ink hits the paper.

Same with any biology books. In the summer between high school and my second year in college, the basis for cellular supporting architecture was discovered. No one had even hear of a nuclear basket. Now that stuff is intro material.
  7. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Idk man maybe I'm just from a different background (economically speaking) or I have been very very fortunate in my book prices in the past because 3 used books for $200 seems outrageous to me. That is a lot of money. And I will end up selling the one back but I'll only receive a fraction of the money. The other book I'll end up keeping because it relates to my major.
  8. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,296 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Many classes I was able to not even buy the book. Other than math, finance, and accounting classes, when you have problems in the book. I usually get by with taking notes during class and the professor's powerpoints.

If I do need one I split it 50/50 with someone in class, and you can study together or trade off nights of who has the book. Saves money.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,230 Messages
    9,802 Likes Received
    amazon.com, Half.com, city library, school library, county library were all my resources when I was in school
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,085 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I spent over $500..
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,554 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    What is the average cost of tuition for a 4 year degree?

I know several colleges are 30k plus a semester. If you pay that much, you'd think the books would be included lol.
  12. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,085 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Only ive league is that much.. Unless your including cost of living, then most schools will run you 55k-60k that are private.

Hofstra is around 33,000 a year tuition so thats like 16,500 a semester.
  13. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As I read this, there was a banner ad for Career Point on the bottom of the screen. :laugh2:
  14. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    most college libraries will have the books, if they don't, ask your professor to put one on reserve (2 hour check-out limit), so that you can just go to the library and read it. Most professors are willing to do that b/c they know books are expensive.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    At my school it was about 6K per for undergrad.. one of the the cheapest in the nation for a top tier school.
  16. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So glad I don't have to worry about this anymore.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,959 Messages
    611 Likes Received
  18. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,667 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Try www.chegg.com

I used them my last couple semesters in undergrad. You rent the textbooks and return them after the semester. They pay for the shipping back so all you have to do is print off the ups label and drop them off.

For most books it was much cheaper, between 25% and 50% of the price of the book, so it was a better deal than buying and selling back for me.
  19. golfergirl

golfergirl New Member

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's SUPER CHEAP!!!

I paid right at $700 for my 4 classes this semester. (6 books total, and 3 brand new)

But the book store on campus will buy all books back at 50% of purchase price if they aren't shredded upon sale. Out of the 6, only 1 of them I can't sell back (Med term w/ CD pack and flashcards) so I am ABUSING that one, since I know it's mine forever. The others, I use sticky tabs instead of highlighters, so I can get my money back on them.

Hubby's book cost was right at $500 for 6 books as well; but all his were used, and he is selling them all back.

How did you not know what books you needed? When we registered, we were given class codes, and then went to our online blackboard, and all the Proff's already had a list of books, what editions, any other essentials (graph paper, graphing calc, rulers, lab coat, scrubs, etc...), down to what kind of pencils/pens/paper they prefered their assignments to be turned in.

The day after late enrollment, the bookstore opened, and we had out books about a week before class started.
  20. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,554 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Auburn is 20k plus for out of state tuition
    A lot of the sec schools are really expensive