1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Colleges in Texas

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCowboy, Nov 4, 2011.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,464 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    Hey,
    This is the time for most high school students (I am a junior) to start looking into colleges. I am from New York but I am looking to live my life and go to school in Texas. I see a lot of out-of-state tuition's are basically $30,000+

My question to those who know is what is the best college in Texas at an affordable price ($22,000 or lower). I searched Texas State and that was pretty good and cheap, along with North Texas. I prefer any D-1, D-1AA school that is fairly large in size. I plan to major in Communications and the location of the college does not matter.

Do any of you know any big colleges that are reasonable for an out of state student?

Thank you!
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Here's a piece of advice I wish someone would have given me.

Whatever school you chose, don't go there. At least not at first. Go to their website or whatever and find a local CC that will transfer credits over.

Take all the BS prerequisite courses at the CC.

English
    Math
    Wester Civ
    Foreign Language
    Philosophy / Religion

If you know what your major will be avoid taking those courses at the CC just for the sake of being in program of the school you want to go to. If your major is on my BS list then take it at the university you want.

Seriously, you'll gain nothing by taking English at one school over another. These courses aren't even taught by the professors, they're taught by grad students and many of the grad students in math and science courses are ESL students, making the entire experience even more wasteful. Hell, a good number of the chemistry professors I had were ESL. Fighting through an accent in any course is about as frustrating as it gets.

I don't care if you take Western Civ at Harvard or at the South Harmon Institute of Technology, you're going to probably hate it either way.

When I was in undergrad, I took a few courses online from some local CC. Best decision I ever made, although a decision I made much later than I wish. Aside from the fact that the course cost about 1/4th the price it would have on campus, I was able to do the work on my own time (which was very helpful because I was working overnights at the time) and didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go sit in a class taught by a person barely older than myself and only marginally more qualified.

Credits transfer over easily if you do your research. It's just a matter of having a transcript sent from one office to the other. You get credit at the school you really want to go to, save an *** load of money in the process and come out with the same piece of paper in the end.

In all honesty though, I don't see why you'd want to go to a lesser school and pay more money just because of location. In the long run, you'll have much greater flexibility to "live your life" if you picked an in-state school that cost just as much as the lesser out-of-state school you're trying to force yourself into.

And another thing, if tuition is 22K......expect an annual cost of about 32K.

Housing, books, transportation and all the other things that come with moving away from home just don't come cheap.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,048 Messages
    5,540 Likes Received
    University of Houston :cool:

D1 school, it's in a major city, Cost should be around 16k for out of state students I believe. I got my degree in Communications from there. It was a pretty good program. Got a lot of hands on experience.

Based on Hoofbite's premise, you could look into Houston Community College for your basics. I went there too for a few classes.
  4. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,745 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Sam Houston State in Huntsville. Great communications department.
  5. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,403 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I'm a senior at UT Austin (man, the senioritis is terrible.) It's a great school, and I'm really glad I came here -- my dream school had always been Johns Hopkins, but when that acceptance letter came in the mail, so did the price of tuition, and my parents laughed at that :( .

So, the deal about tuition. You're a junior, so you probably haven't started applying for scholarships, etc. You'd be surprised how much money you can cut off your tuition if you're proactive about applying for scholarships.

Anyway, I'd say that there are tons of schools in Texas that are great. I spent a summer at UH (and I liked it, their cougar's named Shasta or something really cool like that), and I have a friend that goes to Texas State and I think he likes it.

I'd say generally, the closer you can get to Austin, the better. Austin really is a great city for college students.

My advice to you would be to look into any types of scholarships you can find (they'll probably have a folder of scholarship opportunities at your counselor's office), and apply through the Texas common application to any Texas school you could possibly see yourself going to, and worry about the price, etc later on.

And yeah, you can always save money by going community college.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,266 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    If you're not opposed to doing a little time in the military, an ROTC scholarship is a great way to offset the costs of college, get paid while in college (stipend) as well as have gainful employment upon graduation.

Could be an attractive career option or resume builder in this economy.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ones Big Enough are U of H, Sam Houston State, SFA and North Texas that fall in that range that I would recommend

Houston, Huntsville (running joke you work or attend one of the two state institutes. HQ of the Texas prison system is located there and lots of prisons) , Nacogdoches (Naco no where), Denton (AKA Dallas Area)

I went to Sam Houston State myself and it has grown pushing 20k of students now

My advice would be to establish residence status in Texas

Here is a good link from UT website that

http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/residency/establishing

Anyway you can move down and finish Highschool in Texas
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    The GF got her degree in comm. from TX State and it is one of the better programs in texas. TSU is moving up to D1 next year I think. Austin is where you want to be though if at all possible. TSU is a typical small college town but the good thing is that it has a river to hang out at and go tubing(toobing) and it is half an hour from austin, 45 minutes from san antonio and 20 minutes from the #1 water park in the world.

but seriously establish residency now and do it in the city you are going to go to college. If you choose TSU for example the school makes you live in student housing if you don't live within 30 miles.

it would seriously save your parents a crap ton of money to rent an apartment in that town and not live in it just to 'prove' that you are a texas resident and that is just for tuition. If you can live off campus from the start they would save even more money.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Listed cost is often totally irrelevant. Check out US News and World Report's Best Value Colleges - that is a decent index of what you pay vs. what you get (and what you can expect to be paid coming out). For example, in CA, Stanford lists a very high tuition. Yet the school is a serious value b/c few students who have need pay anywhere close to the full tuition rate and the degree carries considerable influence in post-graduation placement.
  10. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Two really good programs but you'll have to make arrangements to watch the Cowboys if the Texans are at home at the same time.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Here's my advice: Go to the absolute best academic school you can get into and afford, no matter where it is. If you insist on Texas, okay, but go to the best school you can.

And sorry, but I think the idea of going to a community college is absolutely terrible advice unless you can't afford it any other way.
  12. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree with the community college part. There are some great professors in those places. Then, you shoot for the stars and go for a UT school, where the tuition is what you're looking for.
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I can see this point of view too. There really is nothing like the schooling you get from great schools' faculties. It's really the best part of college. And you'll almost certainly learn nothing from your classmates, which I think is where you learn a lot at college.
  14. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    The only advice I can give is don't go to Texas for school just because you want to be close to the Cowboys (not saying that's why you want to go there). Go to the school you really want to go to regardless of location.
  15. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,403 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    If you don't mind my asking, did you go to school in Texas?

Also, I don't know about you guys, but my freshman year in school taking all those freshman classes really had some of my best memories of college. If you want to get it all over with for cheap, that's fine, but if you can afford it, go to your university for four years and really enjoy them.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,878 Messages
    2,136 Likes Received
    A nice range of advice here.

It sounds like your target is not to get in a high ranking academic school but to get a degree from a fairly large college or university. As long as you know what you want, that's cool.

I'm more of the midset that you get the very best education you can afford. You will make the money back ten fold by doing so. There are plenty of exepctions though.

But the JC route would work for what you are planning....though it really takes away from the college experience, it is much more affordable.

I assume it will be next to impossible to go to a UT or A&M with that plan (at least in 2013 or beyond) but there are plenty of large schools in this state. I think a few have been named already. Anyway, you seem to have a target market, so I'm going to assume your grades are average (neither great or terrible).

Abe mentioned using US News as one of your references and I agree.

Also, so much depends on if you want the total college atmosphere (for example, Lubbock is all about Texas Tech) or more of an urban setting with less of the on campus feel (which would be CCs or at a higher level, U of H).
  17. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

432 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Along with the others named I would also recommend The University of Texas at Arlington. It has really moved up over the last ten years and is getting a lot of respect. I think because it's located in the DFW metroplex and is affordable a lot of people have decided it's a good option. It's Div1 and recently moved to a new conference, they don't have a football team but you will be blocks away from Cowboys Stadium and the Texas Rangers.
  18. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,464 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think the Community College idea is pretty smart for out of state students. How long do you recommend going to the Community College? Freshman year, then transferring somewhere else so I can pay the in-state tuition cost at schools like UT at Austin?

I think that's very smart to be honest.
  19. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    As far as in-state tuition goes, most schools require you live there for a few years before you meet the requirements for in-state tuition so I wouldn't count on that happening. I think many recommend community college first just because the general education requirement type classes are cheaper there and will transfer.
  20. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,464 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    I created an account at ApplyTexas but I'm having some problems when trying to create a new application. I brings me to a page that says "Profile record not found for this username "

I'm signed in too. I don't what happened.