1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Colombo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BlueDemon, Nov 24, 2006.

1. BlueDemon

BlueDemon Benched

383 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what a find , what a find here folks. I got real nervous when he went off yesterday, he's been stellar, only one poor game that I recall. And he's gotten better game after game. I'm not saying he's Erik Williams but I am saying he's an above average NFl Right Tackle. Not to mention he's the size of a mountain.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Honestly, I think you could stick Tucker and Petitti in there with Romo's quick release, quick decision making, and ability to elude the rush and make them look pretty good.

But yeah, he looked good even with Bledsoe in.
  3. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,414 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    Yup, I was nervous when they took him off too. I'm glad all is well now. :)
  4. BlueDemon

BlueDemon Benched

383 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No , oh no way, Colombo has excellent hold the fort ability, he gets pushced back, but b/c he's so big he tends to hold his man until the pass is off, something Pettitti could never do. Not to mention Colombo's footwork is superior to both the aforementioned.
  5. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,242 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    When I watched the NFL Channel replay of the Dallas-Indy game I found myself watching Columbo for a while. He was doing a fine job run blocking ... moving his man of the ball ... getting good position.

He was a #1 pick but has missed a ton of time to injury. If he can stay healthy he could be a really solid RT for a long time.

Props to the Cowboys for having the forsight to give himi a shot and patience to give him time to heal.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Dude don't kid yourself with that statement, Petitti had horrible footwork and no quickness and Tucker couldn't block a fly. People forget Colombo was a pretty high first round draft pick....
  7. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Colombo and Flozell were giving up the same number of sacks that Tucker and Petitti were giving up with Bledsoe in this year. I was one of Petitti's biggest detractors, and thought Tucker didn't even deserve to be in the league, but it's really amazing how terrible Bledsoe was.
  8. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Even a blind man could see how much better the Oline played this year as compared to our Tucker-Pettiti line last year. Even with Bledsoe. Keep in mind that this year's Bledsoe was not even close to the same level as last year's.
  9. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I'm not saying they're as good as Colombo and Flo. That's ridiculous. I'm just saying that they would have loked much better with Romo in instead of Bledsoe. Everyone was saying we didn't fix the line this year until Romo came in. Bledsoe makes lines look THAT BAD.

People should read posts entirely and take them for what they're actually saying. In no way was I trying to say Tucker/Petitti are as good as Colombo/Flozell.
  10. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    But you were basically attributing the line being better to Romo. They were better before. Much better. And anyone watching knows it. Romo does make them look better, I'll agree with that, just as Joey Harrington is making the previously maligned group in MIami look better - but it was obvious how much better they were even with Bledsoe, if anyone cared to look.
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,062 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    He was a former #1 I believe... it wasnt so much "a find" as it was taking a chance on his health

Great job though... seems to be getting better each week.... Romo's confidence is flowing in the line
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Colombo wasn't a number 1 overall pick but he was a first round pick....
  13. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    O RLY? You should read the post more closely.

Looks like I was saying that Colombo looked good even with Bledsoe in. If you go back and look at my Colombo/Flozell posts before the QB switch I was defending them. I thought they looked very good, actually, and called Colombo the biggest acquisition in the off-season (yes, I know he wasn't technically acquired in the off-season). I was merely stating that Romo would have made Petitti/Tucker look better.
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,062 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    Sorry thats what I meant:D
  15. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,298 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Pettiti and Tucker cant even hold this Guys Jock strap...That's a FACT.
  16. cowboyed

cowboyed Garrett Groupie

2,103 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nobody can get through the District of Columbo.:lmao: :eek::
  17. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,949 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    The draft is an inexact science...but Tucker was UNDRAFTED and he was a GUARD in college. Pettiti was a 6th rounder. Columbo was a 1st rounder for a reason. No this is not always a good indicator...but there is level of pride/ego that comes along with being a 1st rounder. I am sure Columbos expect great things out of himself. I always thought the Pettiti's and Tucker's of the world were just happy to be in the NFL...you cannot have guys at key positions with this type of attitude when you are the Dallas Cowboys...guys earn Pro Bowl berths and new contracts making plays agains the most visible team in the NFL...you have to have guys who feel they belong and that are not in over their heads.
  18. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Columbo has been a revelation. I like his style and toughness. He's just one of those guys who gets after it and gets the job done.

I think Fabini deserves quite a bit of credit too. There were a lot of people who thought he was a terrible addition and that he shouldn't even be on the team. I see a very valuable backup who came in when Columbo went out and did a fine job. He's also a nice option as an eligible TE on running plays because of his blocking. He's been the solid pro that I thought he would be.
  19. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,347 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    What's Colombo's contract status for Next Year?.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    He's had a tough road as well. He was a questionable first round pick that Bears fans thought was a bust when there was nothing he could really do about it. He had severe nerve damage in his leg, which means he's a bit lucky he didn't have to get his leg amputated. And he's real fortunate to be playing football again, especially at this level.

YAKUZA