1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Coming around to the idea of keeping the coaching staff as is

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wolf2k5, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,894 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    As I've said a bunch, I'm not a Garrett fan. He's had his shot to show something in 4-7 years and I've seen nothing to change my mind. But if he is going to succeed and make me eat crow or go down in flames, let him do what he wants....hire, call plays, etc and then there are no excuses...until an injury happens. Overall I'm tired of his in job training but let him fail or overcome on his own.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  2. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    It's not similar at all. If you don't have a replacement in hand you shouldn't fire your entire staff, especially when they have a winning record. Everyone thinks change means progress but it is usually the exact opposite.
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    No, I've seen it, and yes, it looks brutal right now. But things always change from one season to the next.
  4. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,642 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    Well . . . thanks for the vote of confidence for the coaching staff. . . maybe.

I half said it before and I will says it again: Injuries did the defense in. Inefficient and inexplicable play calling did he offense in.

There is something to be said about continuity, especially for coaching staffs.
    I think it is fair to say that being a year wiser, if we go 8-8 or worse, then yes, fire some coaches.

But I say give it a year for the staff to succeed. Not give it a year to fail.
    Who are you, anyway?
  5. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,401 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    And that new GM would fire the coach
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  6. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

489 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    There is always next year.

The Art Modells and Al Davis's of the world have that luxury.

Unfortunately, sometimes they have to pass before change comes.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,469 Likes Received
    He may or may not.

I'm thinking the new GM would realize what the real issue has been in Dallas all along and wouldn't subscribe to the simpleton fan theory of just blaming whoever the current head coach is.

But he'd probably want to start off his tenure with his own head coaching hire.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,894 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    Disagree with your last sentence. In his league of complete parity, quick turnarounds are becoming the norm. Change works many times. You are assuming there is no one better to replace a mediocre group but to me that is defeatist. They can do better. Jerry just would rather be right. My fear is like the sun shining on a dog's *** some days, Jerry will get one decent season and then we will stick with mediocre for more years due to it. Because that is what he is doing. Waiting until he gets one blackjack and saying "told you so."
    khiladi likes this.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received
    count on it
  10. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,638 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Definitely. Who goes on record saying their freaking head coach is getting on the job training? That shows how clueless they are.
    khiladi likes this.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,684 Messages
    2,418 Likes Received
    Exactly. Change is the opposite of progress? Not for the recent Niners, Eagles, Chargers, Cardinals, and others.

But you nailed Jerry's thinking perfectly on waiting for that one year when everything goes right and we have a decent season so he can have an excuse to keep the status quo for several more years. Problem for him is, 2013 should have been that year with the Giants and Skins being so bad and the Eagles with a brand new coach and inexperienced young QB.
    khiladi likes this.
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,655 Messages
    1,053 Likes Received
    It hasn't changed around here for the last 3 years.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  13. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

384 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Yep and it's jerry Jones and his decisions to bring in people like garrett, who can't close out games when he is up by 23 points.

It's a trickle down affect. Incompetence brings in incompetence. It's a collected effort.
    khiladi and BoysFan4ever like this.
  14. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,638 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Jason cannot coach closing out games because he hasn't studied that chapter yet.
    HoustonFrog and khiladi like this.
  15. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,401 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    That same previous idiot GM chose that HC... Why would his idiocy confine itself to every decision but that?
  16. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I see Jerry has a lot of you sucked in. Stay tuned.
  17. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The problem is Jerry and only Jerry. He'll throw everyone else under the bus before he takes the blame. It's depressing being a Cowboys fan. My prediction for next year is 8-8 of course.
    HoustonFrog and Risen Star like this.
  18. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,469 Likes Received
    That's true but he also brought in Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Regardless of the reasoning behind each decision.
    khiladi likes this.
  19. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,469 Likes Received
    I popped your likes cherry.

You know what to do.
  20. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Sounds like a plan. Keep everything the same especially Jerry, Stephen and Spaulding picking the players with an assist from charlotte and the same staff. These results are fabulous.
    [IMG]