1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Competition at a lot of positions

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Smith22, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,544 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    One thing I like about the current make up of our roster is that we have competition at a lot of positions.

At WR, Miles has guys like T. Williams & D. Harris at his heels.

At safety, we have Allen, Church, Wilcox, Johnson, & McCray.

At TE, Witten is a lock, but now Hannah has Escobar pushing him to excel.

At RB, Murray now has Randle to push him, and we have young, hungry players like Tanner and Dunbar trying to prove themselves.

At CB, Claiborne and Carr are locks, but Scandrick now has to compete with Webb as the nickle corner. Sterling Moore also flashed some ability last year.

Now Jerry needs to go address OT and part ways with Free or have him take a major pay cut.

If we can address guard as well, that would be awesome. But we do have Leary and Arkin who have been given another off season to fight for a spot on this team.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

2,718 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    I agree that it appears that Red is a man of his words. He has been preaching "competition" for a few years and, other than QB, CB (starting), DL (unfortunately), and LB there is competition at most positions in some regard
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,438 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I don't know how much competition there is at WR. Williams will be the #3 receiver. Same with Escobar as the #2 TE. Those guys were drafted where they were to start.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There are always surprises.

:)
  5. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,544 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    simple really. these players can't assume the job is theirs. harris shown flashes and can help with returns. if escobar slacks off, Hannah can push him to the bench. miles needs to get his hamstrings straight or later in the year you may see williams as a 2 wr and harris in the slot.

6. SDCowboy85

14,438 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I definitely hope Harris is still on returns assuming Williams is typically the #3. The guy is great at it.
  7. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,554 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Harris can't play the outside, Williams is a pure outside WR so he's not going to take Harris's job if anyone needs to watch their back it's Miles

If our 2nd round TE can't beat out Hannah then he's a bust and should have never been drafted
  8. SDCowboy85

14,438 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I actually agree with this. Assuming it's Williams opposite Dez, Miles will largely be competing with Harris for the slot.
  9. the playmaker

the playmaker Member

178 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Where's the competition at Qb?
    Sorry 106 milion dollar competition:laugh2:
  10. SDCowboy85

14,438 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    He didn't list QB...
  11. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......agree totally on Williams: he was drafted as Miles replacement in '14 after he learns for a year. I also agree on the TE situation....although it still confuses me why a DT wasn't taken there: I guess they didn't like any well enough. I like Hannah alot and think he can be a helluva player. I guess they disagree.:mad:
  12. Tejano15

Tejano15 Member

390 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    By the end of pre-season, I can see some other teams offering some low draft picks for some of our receivers.

Dez, Terrance, Miles, Harris, Beasley, Coale, Erick Rogers, Armstrong

Someone will stand out for us.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,923 Messages
    1,820 Likes Received
    Depending on the offer, I'd dump Austin in a NY minute.
  14. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Active Member

1,460 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Big Red has been mentioning creating competition in pretty much any interview/press conference over the last 2 years. I think I'm starting to believe that he actually means it! Seriously.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Yeah, cuz throughout his career Witten has has an issue with motivation to excel.

Hey! Now he has someone to "push him to excel"!

Hanna and Escobar being there have NOTHING to do with Witten. They're there to hopefully give us a more dynamic offense, to create mismatches. NOT to "push witten".
  16. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,168 Messages
    160 Likes Received

Oddly, there was no mention in the OP of "pushing Witten. The original point was that Escobar would push Hanna.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    That's not how I took it, but w/e. Just thought it was funny.
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,619 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Never mind Rack he must be back home right now drinking that good ole Rio grande water right now..:D

The one guy who might be nervous right now is hammy Austin....
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I try to avoid the butt hole of texas (aka Laredo) as much as possible.

I'm at Killeen/Fort Hood now, Baddie.

I heard you visit Laredo weekly just to go across to Firenzi's.
  20. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,168 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Off topic a bit, but that's a nice little stable of ponies ya got there, Rack.

;)