1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Complete Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jimnabby, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I believe I've got all scenarios covered; please correct any errors you see. By seed:

1, 2, 3 Seed:
    No chance (GB has clinched at least the 3 seed thanks to a better conference record)

4 Seed:
    DAL beats NO and DAL beats WAS
    OR
    DAL beats WAS and BAL beats NYG
    OR
    DAL beats WAS and PHI beats NYG

5 Seed:
    No chance (SEA or SF will be ahead of DAL)

6 Seed:
    DAL beats NO and MIN loses out and CHI loses out and NYG loses one game
    OR
    DAL beats WAS and GB beats MIN and CHI loses out
    OR
    DAL beats WAS and GB beats MIN and MIN beats HOU and CHI loses one game

For this week, that means to root for:
    DAL over NO
    BAL over NYG
    ARI over CHI

HOU-MIN: Depends (see the first and last 6 seed scenarios)

Oddly, the WAS-PHI game is completely irrelevant to the Cowboys' playoff chances.
  2. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Except for RGIII taking a butt whooping from Philly could really crush his confidence which would also be a good thing.
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,519 Messages
    953 Likes Received
    As AdamJT has pointed out several times, three-way tiebreakers can trump head-to-head.

/reality
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Indeed. For example, that's where the last scenario listed comes into play. In that one, MIN has to beat HOU so that there's a 3-way tie between DAL, CHI and MIN for the 6 seed. We win that 3-way tiebreaker, even though we lose a 2-way to CHI.
  5. RomoIzDaMan

RomoIzDaMan New Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I prefer to just concentrate on Cowboys winning week 16 and 17.Won't stop me from rooting for the Giants and Skins to lose this Sunday :starspin
  6. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,551 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    My head hurts.:p:

Regarding the 6th seed scenarios described above, which is most plausible? I think it's the 3rd one.
  7. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

157 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Man I can't wait for this week to be over so this entire thing will be a hell of a lot more clear.

At the end of the day, I can't see Arizona beating Chicago, no matter how much the Bears are struggling. But we can hope!
  8. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

921 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Minnesota have to lose out if Cowboys take 6 spot. Minn have Cowboys beat in NFC victories and opponents beaten winning percentage tiebreaks. If Minn beat HOU, and Cowboys fail to win division, there is no way Cowboys leap over Minn.
  9. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,583 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Dallas can lose to the Saints and still win the NFCE. Giants would need to lose 1 game and Cowboys would need to beat the Redskins.
  10. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,724 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Well Arizona just beat the hell out of Detroit. If their defense plays an outstanding game then I think they have a chance.
  11. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

2,447 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Just want the Boys to take care of business and win the next two games. I think this team going into the tournament with a 5 game winning streak will be the best option.
  12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,106 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Not true. If Minnesota's win is against Houston then the conference record is equal, and then if Dallas beats Washington they beat Minnesota on win% in common games.
  13. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,259 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Yep you are right. Minny would be 1-4(at WASH Loss, CHI X 2 Win/Loss, SEA Loss, Tampa Loss)and we'd be 2-3 in common games.
  14. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,166 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    I wonder how the Fail Mary game affected all of this.

Had Seattle lost that game, would it change anything?
  15. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,259 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Yeah it would change it a lot. Although there would have been one more 8-6 team in the mix but that lost would have been another conference loss for them
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    In the end...we control our own destiny. We win we are in. That's all that matters to me.
  17. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

805 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    It would also put the 3 seed completely out of play. I know there is a less than 5% chance of it happening, but I think if either the Redskins or Cowboys won the last 2 games AND Green Bay loses the last 2, they would lose the 3rd seed. I know at least the Skins would beat them on tiebreakers. In all liklihood the 3 seed will be locked up by GB this weekend.

Not expecting it to happen - but I personally would rather host pretty much anybody other than Seattle right now.
  18. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

921 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    That is correct but I doubt that Minn and Dal would be the only ones with the same record and when I said Dallas won't jump Minn. I'm speaking as if there will be a 3 or a 4 way tie.
  19. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,340 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    The Washington game is likely the determining factor over New Orleans, New York should lose one.
  20. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,228 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Not me. That's a different team away from home. I know that they've beaten Chicago (seriously struggling) and Buffalo (handily) on the road, but I want a chance for our team to redeem themselves against the SeaHags at home. Bring 'em on!