1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Complete Playoff Scenarios

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jimnabby, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As we all should.

Lets be real here, divisional round matchups look to be @Atlanta or @SF for the wildcard winners. What makes anyone believe we wouldn't embarrass ourselves if we can't dispatch of Seattle at home?

It all about merit.

If we can't beat Skins in Washington, does anyone really want to see us at home in the playoffs against Seattle?

I like to how it all lineups as progressively more difficult stepping stones.... Saints at home, Skins on the road, Seattle at home, then a trip to a top 2 seed.
  2. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Yes. That's exactly what the part you quoted says.
  3. jimnabby

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    The 3 seed is already out of play for us. Washington can still win it.
  4. jimnabby

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Dallas beats CHI and MIN in a 3-way tie if MIN's win is vs. HOU, but MIN wins it if their win is vs. GB. We also beat CHI, MIN and WAS in some 4-way tie scenarios, but not others.
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does this mean we'll be pulling for Chicago to win 4:00pm if both we and Min win at 1:00pm? I'm confused.
  6. jimnabby

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's confusing, and I messed it up a bit in my last post. Here's the deal.

If MIN beats HOU, our only path to the playoffs involves beating WAS.

If MIN beats HOU and we beat NO, things get real simple. Beat WAS and we're in as the 4 seed, lose and we're out. No other game matters. No chance at the WC.

If MIN beats HOU and we lose to NO, things are a bit more complicated. We obviously have to beat WAS. If we do that and NYG loses a game, we win the division. If NYG wins out, we need help. We need GB to beat MIN and we need CHI to lose at least one game. So we're rooting for CHI to lose.

To the best of my knowledge, my OP in this thread is accurate and covers all of this.
  7. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,616 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Maybe, but that depends on so many other teams' results this week and next week, it isn't possible to say for sure before kickoff. So, pull for whoever you want, it may turn out right and it may not.
  8. jimnabby

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    No. There's no chance we'll be rooting for CHI.
  9. RomoIzDaMan

RomoIzDaMan New Member

48 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You said it! Seahags are volunerable away from their stadium and Cowboys ould have a big motivational factor for the game.

I am really hoping the Cowboys can run the table in December.Its the first time in several years they have a chance to.Last Cowboys team to finish the season 5-0 was the 1993 SuperBowl bound team:starspin .
  10. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Any way you slice it we have to beat Washington regardless. Not gonna be easy.
  11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,233 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Unless Chicago and Minnesota lose out, yes we have to beat Washington.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe not. There is one scenaro I'll be pulling for that I THINK secures us the 6th seed before we even play Washington.

We beat NO, Chicago and Min lose out and the Giants lose one more game.

Now if our game in Washington gets flexed as I suspect it will, all this will have played out and we'll know if the game is a win and in before we take the field.
    I believe having a little less at stake could help us perhaps not enter the match up too tight.
  13. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,782 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    Not gonna be easy for Washington either.
  14. jimnabby

3,872 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Yes, that is the only scenario where we lose to WAS and still make the playoffs (see the original post).
  15. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,442 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I get the impression that most Skin's fans consider it a given that they will beat us. Nothing would be finer than to puncture or downright stomp on their balloon.
  16. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

841 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    The only ones that do consider it a given are incredibly naive, bandwagon fans I'd say.
  17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,180 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    It does not say that. Cowboys can win the NFCE with a 9-7 record if they beat the Skins and the Giants lose 1 game. The Saints game would be irrelevant. Of course Dallas cannot take that mind set.
  18. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,984 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    It's actually still possible for all three NFC East teams to make the playoffs at 9-7 -- we could win the division, and the Redskins and Giants could be the two wild cards.
  19. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,318 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    If that happens, wouldn't Dallas host the Redskins while SF hosted the Giants? I am assuming that the Giants would be the lowest seed...
  20. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,984 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    The Giants would play at the Packers unless the 49ers flop against Arizona (as long as the Packers beat Tennessee).