1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Congressional Black Caucus members praise Castro

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Apr 7, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Link

CBC members praise Castro
    By ALEX ISENSTADT | 4/7/09 7:01 PM EDT

Key members of the Congressional Black Caucus are calling for an end to U.S. prohibition on travel to Cuba, just hours after a meeting with former Cuban president Fidel Castro in Havana.

“The fifty-year embargo just hasn’t worked,” CBC Chairwoman Barbara Lee (D-Ca.) told reporters this evening at a Capitol press conference after returning from a congressional delegation visit to Cuba. “The bottom line is that we believe its time to open dialogue with Cuba.”

Lee and others heaped praise on Castro, calling him warm and receptive during their discussion. But the lawmakers disputed Castro's later statement that members of the congressional delegation said American society is still racist.

"It was quite a moment to behold," Lee said, recalling her moments with Castro.

“It was almost like listening to an old friend,” said Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Il.), adding that he found Castro’s home to be modest and Castro’s wife to be particularly hospitable.

“In my household I told Castro he is known as the ultimate survivor,” Rush said.

Rep. Laura Richardson (D-Ca.) said Castro was receptive to President Obama’s message of turning the page in American foreign policy.

"He listened. He said the exact same thing" about turning the page "as President Obama said," said Richardson.

Richardson said Castro knew her name and district. "He looked right into my eyes and he said, 'How can we help? How can we help President Obama?'"

President Obama vowed during the 2008 presidential campaign to loosen the longstanding travel embargo on Cuba, and Lee – who has been pushing for an end to travel and trade restrictions for some time - said now was as good a time as any to change the way the two countries did business.

There is now serious momentum in long-standing efforts to overturn the nearly five decade ban on travel and trade with Cuba. Previous efforts have been blocked by a vocal and influential Cuban American community, and former President Bush's veto threats on legislation to overturn the prohibitions have kept such proposals at bay.

In a statement following the meeting today, Castro said that the delegation had expressed to him that a segment of American society “continues to be racist,” and is at least partly to blame for the travel restrictions.

But the delegation this evening said those remarks were not expressed in the meeting.

“That did not happen,” Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), told reporters.
  2. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "How can we help President Obama turn the USA into a communist country?"

One
    Big
    Arse
    Mistake
    America...
  3. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stalin really nailed it with his "useful idiots" remark.
  4. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Congressional Black Caucus members praise Castro after meeting...

Key members of the Congressional Black Caucus are calling for an end to U.S. prohibition on travel to Cuba, just hours after a meeting with former Cuban president Fidel Castro in Havana.

“The fifty-year embargo just hasn’t worked,” CBC Chairwoman Barbara Lee (D-Ca.) told reporters this evening at a Capitol press conference after returning from a congressional delegation visit to Cuba. “The bottom line is that we believe its time to open dialogue with Cuba.”

Lee and others heaped praise on Castro, calling him warm and receptive during their discussion. But the lawmakers disputed Castro's later statement that members of the congressional delegation said American society is still racist.

"It was quite a moment to behold," Lee said, recalling her moments with Castro.

“It was almost like listening to an old friend,” said Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Il.), adding that he found Castro’s home to be modest and Castro’s wife to be particularly hospitable.

“In my household I told Castro he is known as the ultimate survivor,” Rush said.

Rep. Laura Richardson (D-Ca.) said Castro was receptive to President Obama’s message of turning the page in American foreign policy.

"He listened. He said the exact same thing" about turning the page "as President Obama said," said Richardson.

Richardson said Castro knew her name and district. "He looked right into my eyes and he said, 'How can we help? How can we help President Obama?'"

President Obama vowed during the 2008 presidential campaign to loosen the longstanding travel embargo on Cuba, and Lee – who has been pushing for an end to travel and trade restrictions for some time - said now was as good a time as any to change the way the two countries did business.

There is now serious momentum in long-standing efforts to overturn the nearly five decade ban on travel and trade with Cuba. Previous efforts have been blocked by a vocal and influential Cuban American community, and former President Bush's veto threats on legislation to overturn the prohibitions have kept such proposals at bay.

In a statement following the meeting today, Castro said that the delegation had expressed to him that a segment of American society “continues to be racist,” and is at least partly to blame for the travel restrictions.

But the delegation this evening said those remarks were not expressed in the meeting.

“That did not happen,” Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), told reporters.

edit. please delete.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    That was Lenin not stalin.

Watch how little play this gets in the MSM.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,240 Messages
    4,565 Likes Received
    They talked about it on Morning Joe this morning...you know on the leftest of left channels MSNBC.

Of course Joe is not a lefty so take it with a grain of salt.

On a side note there was a funny bit on there this morning.

They were doing their little interesting or irrelevant news segment and they reported about a story where a woman in Colorado got turned down for a personalized license plate. Apparently she was a long time vegamatarian (my word for them) who loved tofu. So she requested a plate that was to mean I love Tofu. However the limited letters made it say ILVTOFU. To which everyone on the set started laughing about except for that Mika (sp?) lady. She had to write it down. They went to commercial and when they came back she finally got it and started laughing.

Just thought it was funny.
  7. burmafrd

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Just looked at all the major network web sites. None mentioned what the idiots said. just the usual PR puff pieces. Fox Had some of their stupid comments, but not all of them.
    I knew you would come up with some excuses for the obamamites.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  9. BrAinPaiNt

61,240 Messages
    4,565 Likes Received
    Not giving any excuses. Just telling you it was on Morning Joe.

Once again your lack of reading comprehension shines through. You are just Sally Sunshine.:laugh1:
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,240 Messages
    4,565 Likes Received
    Heck Ya.

I don't trust those dirty vegamatarians.
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Barbara Lee is an idiot. The embargo hasn't worked? I would beg to differ. Despite europeans traveling to Cuba for vacation the embargo has worked very well. Cubans are still driving around cars from the 50's.

I am sure the CBC was given the "luxury tour" of cuba in which everything they see is sheltered so they see nothing but the few good things there.
  12. burmafrd

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    And once again shilling for the Obamamites makes someone look pretty sad.
  13. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    It really is sad. The CBC goes and kisses the *** of the biggest slave owner in the world. These people are just flat out stupid. Irony in it's highest form.
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nixon and Kissinger praised Mao at one point in time...
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received

How'ed that work out for old Tricky Nick?
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    they were just about to give him nuclear secrets
    it was pathetic
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Question why is there still a congressional black caucus? Why not a white congressional caucus or congressional other caucus for those of other nationalities? I see it here at Harris County as well we have the sheriffs union and then we also have the black sheriffs union?
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    another question is why they decided to send them there?

it should have been a united front, but whatever
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Castro spoke at Riverside Church in Harlem last time he visited the UN and those clowns gave him a standing ovation...
  20. BrAinPaiNt

61,240 Messages
    4,565 Likes Received
    I think they already have a white one...called Congress.:p:

Don't know about other nationalities or races though.