1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Consensus Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 9, 2012.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The NFL Draft is one of my favorite days of the year, and the lead up with all of the mock drafts is very intriguing.

WalterFootball.com has a database of all of the mock drafts (http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php). I had the idea of doing a consensus draft based on how many experts had each team picking a certain player. FantasyPros.com does something similar for their fantasy sports drafts (and is a great site if you have not been on it).

Would anyone be interested in seeing the data for this? I started to do it with the Cowboys draft, but there are so many updates between now and then. I was trying to think of the best way to do it, but only if there is any interest.

I will probably end up doing it for my own personal interest, just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,570 Likes Received
    Sure.

As you said though, I was looking a bunch of different sites and their mocks and most of them have not been updated (many had Barkley and L.Jones in them) so I don't know if you are going to wait some time before doing it or not.

However with all of the draft junkies around here I am sure they will be happy to check it out when you get it done.

:cool:
  3. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I kinda like Walter's current first four rounds for Dallas (dated 1/5/2012):

1. [IMG] Dallas Cowboys: David DeCastro, G, Stanford [IMG]
    The Cowboys have major issues on the interior of their offensive line. Left guard Derrick Dockery is a free agent after missing most of 2011 with a knee injury. Center Phil Costa sucks. Right guard Montrae Holland, meanwhile, can't really be relied upon.

David DeCastro is one of the top interior linemen prospects to come along in years, and he's the highest-ranked prospect on the board. This is a perfect match.

2. [IMG] Dallas Cowboys: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina [IMG]
    Many mocked Prince Amukamara to the Cowboys this past April for good reason. If you didn't see the Sunday night game against the Giants, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz ran down the field with ease against a putrid secondary. Orlando Scandrick isn't very good, while Terence Newman has just collapsed following a hot start.
    3. [IMG] Dallas Cowboys: Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut [IMG]
    The Cowboys had the option of picking J.J. Watt at No. 9 overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. They went with Tyron Smith, who was great in his rookie campaign, but they were hurting at the defensive end position as a consequence.
    4. [IMG] Dallas Cowboys: Donte Paige-Moss, DE/OLB, North Carolina [IMG]
    Donte Paige-Moss is a giant ******, but Jerry Jones has taken chances on headcases before. Besides, Anthony Spencer has been hot and cold this year. He'll be a free agent in March. I doubt Dallas will want to pay him the money he's looking for.
  4. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Out of 65 up to date drafts here's what I got. I narrowed it down to players who had at least 2 mocks.

Alfonzo Dennard - 24.62%
    David Decastro - 15.38%
    Dre Kirkpatrick - 15.38%
    Janoris Jenkins - 9.23%
    Chase Minnifield - 4.62%
    Courtney Upshaw - 4.62%
    Mark Barron - 4.62%
    Quinton Coples - 4.62%
    Devon Still - 3.08%

By position:

DB - 61.55%
    OL - 18.46%
    OLB/DE - 12.32%
    DL - 4.62%
    ILB - 3.08%
  5. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,382 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    This pretty good IMHO
  6. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Can Jerry check his ego at the door and actually pick 2 1st round offensive lineman in consecutive drafts ... i doubt it ... i think he picks a OLB or DE to rush the passer and interest the fan base.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    I'd be just as interested in a solid guard...
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I don't think he has a problem with drafting players that will interest the fan base, go look at the apparel sales for the Cowboys and tell me if they need anymore interest.

For the most part, I think he sides with the scouts, with the blatant exceptions of Felix Jones and Dez Bryant perhaps. I don't think he's the one in the war room demanding that Robert Brewster be drafted in the 3rd round.