1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Conservative play calling backfires again

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by abrittain, Jan 13, 2013.

1. abrittain

abrittain New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did Manning's int cost the Broncos the game? Sure, but conservative play calling put the Broncos into overtime. How many times each year do we see coaches take the game out of their QB's hands when they are trying to run the clock out and win the game and it becomes disastrous. It's pathetic and coaches around the league do it all the time. It's one of Garrett's favorite things to do. Anyway, you have a QB like Peyton and all you need is one more first down to put the nail in the coffin, what do you do.......hmmm let's put the game in the hands of back up running backs. Punt City

Offensive coordinators need to stop over thinking and let their money players do their thing.
  2. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    i blame the safety that made about as awful of a play on a ball that i've seen more than the conservative play-calling
  3. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,464 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    Exactly. This thread doesn't exist if Denver's D does what they're supposed to do.
  4. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    It's the "safe" play and too many people still think field position is more important that actually keeping the ball. A punt is just a coach's turnover.
  5. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Something they had not done well all game. What about Peyton doing what he is supposed to do and throw the ball and get a first down? Why is OK to to rely on the Defense, but not one of the best QBs ever?
  6. abrittain

abrittain New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True but if better play calling would have led to a first down then that bomb to Jones would have never happened.

That being said. That was one of the worst defensive plays I have ever seen. Talk about a total break down of basic deep safety assignment and technique.. Wow
  7. abrittain

abrittain New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bingo
  8. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I agree. The safety's angle and depth were horrible, but what about the CB? He lets Jones run by him because he thinks he has help and then trails him down the field. Why let him go by and then chase? Just play tight man and still expect the help. It looked like the Cowboys under Campo.
  9. abrittain

abrittain New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah it was so bad even my wife noticed the horrible technique. She likes Peyton so she was really upset.
  10. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I'm generally all for being aggressive, but I don't have a problem with what Denver did. You guarantee ~1/3 of the remaining time in the game comes off the clock and make the Ravens go 77 yards in a little over a minute with no timeouts.
  11. abrittain

abrittain New Member

35 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd rather take a chance with my QB passing the ball and getting a first down than putting the game in my defense's hands who didn't play the pass well all game. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather bet on what worked for you most of the game than what didn't.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Cause in a situation with less than a minute and the opposing offense has the ball and 70 yards to go your offense can't do anything.
  13. bkight13

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    That's the point. They wouldn't have the ball if Denver got another first down. And I trust Peyton enough to complete a pass when the D is stacking up to stop the run. Worse case is the Ravens have an extra 30 seconds and still have to go 70 yds with no TOs(which obviously they were able to do anyways).
  14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    Just as an aside, the safety was Rahim Moore, who was linked to the Cowboys at times before the 2011 draft, in all kinds of trade-up/trade-down scenarios. Dallas passed on him with the 40th pick in round two and he went to the Broncos five picks later.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Well yeah, if Denver would have gotten a first down. There's no guarantee that even happens with a pass so saying passing would have put them in a better situation in and of itself is just ridiculous.
  16. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You're almost always better off playing it safe though, if you trust your team. Look at Wade throwing that pass to Choice in the '10 opener. Pretty much cost him the game and his job
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    Talk about taking a bad angle. That was awful.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,097 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    Yep - that was the game. Terrible coverage by the S. AWFUL. No excuse for that.
  19. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    I don't know that you can blame the coach in this situation... Doesn't Peyton basically call the play he wants at the LOS ?
    Anyway plenty of blame to go around here... Bad calls, bad situational football, Peyton's int., and champ must of thought he was still covering Sam Hurd....

Props to the ravens .... They got it done....
  20. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    It was awful safety play but you have to give some props to flacco. That was a very long throw. That was an amazing game.

In the last year Flacco has overwhelmingly outplayed Brady and Peyton in road playoff games. His mega deal is going to change how much we pay for Tony.