1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

constitution flawed that continues to today?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by iceberg, Oct 27, 2008.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    [youtube]11OhmY1obS4[/youtube]

if anyone but obama said this, we'd be all over him.

i'm amazed at how much...'power'...he's being given in these situations.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,910 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    Nothing matters Ice. It's almost sireal.
  3. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    i understand the need for change. hell, the hunger and desire for it.

but the more i read / understand about obama i can see a "out of the frying pan and into the fire" and no one wants to dig deeper.
  4. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course the constitution is flawed. Hell it originally counted blacks as 3/5 of a person. The framers knew it was flawed, that's why it's amendable.

Many conservatives think it is flawed because it doesn't define marriage as being between a man and a woman, that's why there's a movement to ammend the constitution to include that.
  5. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is what this is about:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134375
    Merge them?
  6. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    the constitution was built to be added to and modified as we see fit for our times.

are blacks still 3/5th of a person? is being able to fix that problem the "flaw" he speaks of?

think carefully when you attack the constitution or defend someone running for president who's doing just that.
  7. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
  8. JRid21

JRid21 Member

458 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No I mean I think yours is different. I meant merge them together because they both reflect some thing pretty much
  9. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The media won't call him on it.
    They don't want to destroy their own fabrication.
  10. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    except i don't think the media realizes what they're doing. they, like many, are caught up in the hype. in some ways it reminds me of "drinking the kool aide" in how much you let someone else get away with things you'd not let them normally get away with.

like batman said - in our rush for something new, we're running to someone we don't fully understand.

i just love that quote.

maybe this is "overkill" on my part but he's saying some things i truly don't feel many other candidates could say. if he said these 4 years ago, or even 8, no way in hell could he get away with it.

but today, because of the climate, he can.
  11. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like somebody was reading their Playschool's My First History Coloring Book again....

The 3/5 compromise, to which you refer, was an attempt by the abolitionist states to limit the power of the slave states. The slave states wanted each and every slave counted as a citizen, even though they were denied the same rights a citizen would have enjoyed. The North wanted no representation based on slave population (due to the obvious irony in attempting to do so). The compromise was what we know as the "3/5 compromise". By the way, it didn't work that well. A little while later we were embroiled in a civil war.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    YouTube snippets are so fun to watch.
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll also add that you forget (conveniently, perhaps) that Obama considers the Constitution fundamentally flawed, which is a grave distinction from having flawed areas here and there. The fundamentals, which Obama thinks are flawed, are limited government and private ownership of property. In fact, Obama lamented the "tragedy" that the Warren court did not break with the Constitution, which would itself have been unconstitutional (to a non-obama supporter that is). The court is not tasked with rewriting the Constitution (or law for that matter) from the bench.
  14. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    bp may regret showing me how to embed them. :)
  15. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Relax Iceberg. The Constitution isn't going anywhere. McCain isn't going to win. So now would be the time to just relax, listen to some bossa nova, and be proud that a black liberal man is going to be our next president.
  16. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    sorry. when i see someone saying the very basis of our country is flawed, i can't relax.
  17. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Based on which vigilant electorate is this Constitution going to be preserved? The same electorate that is tripping over one another to vote in as President a man who has been associated politically and professionally with those who have called for its destruction? Who has, out of his own mouth, claimed the same by referring to it as a reflection of a fundamentally flawed society (meaning the document itself is fundamentally flawed)? Pray, tell me, who, what, when, where, why, and how, will the Constitution "not go anywhere"? Unless you're merely referring to the physical piece of paper hanging in Washington DC in the sealed display case?
  18. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have a problem with what Barack Obama is saying here, and neither should you.
  19. iceberg

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    link please?

if you'd like to talk the issue and it's merits, i'm game. if you want me to drink the kool aide, ain't gonna happen.
  20. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just because Obama has some opinions about the Constitution that YOU might consider radical, doesn't mean that he is going to abolish the Constitution and write a new one. So, you can relax, listen to some bossa nova, and be proud that a black liberal man is going to be our next president.