1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Contract question

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by StanleySpadowski, Nov 8, 2005.

1. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is it possible for a contract to contain a roster bonus for a date within the season?

Is there any language that prevents a team from paying a player the minimum then setting large roster bonuses at multiple points in the season (say week 4, week 10, week 16)?
  2. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,392 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I bet it's possible, but would show bad faith on the part of the team vs the player.

Plus, as a player, you would then have to worry about injury THAT MUCH more.....
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

26,603 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    Though there is no language that would prevent this, you can bet that any agent settling for such a deal is going to lose his license.

That just isn't working toward a client's best interest.
  4. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was asking because of situations like Owens.

I doubt his agent would lose his license if this was in accordance with the CBA and it's a special case scenario like him.

It would be a way that would allow a team to protect themselves against a potential "cancer', yet allow the player to be generously compensated for his on-field performance, especially if the bonuses were significant. I would also think that an insurance policy could cover any potential lost wages due to injury.
  5. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

6,045 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    This type of wording would only be for a rookie F/A who is a fringe player on the team.

A special wording may be written into TO's next contract.
  6. AbeBeta

26,603 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    Keep in mind the agents have their own association -- and they are supposedly ethically bound to make good deals for their clients. What you are talking about is a huge benefit to the team -- but not the player.

You create huge problems linking large portions of contract to performances - what happens if TO goes to say, ATL, and both Vick and Schaub go down in the pre-season? Now TO is stuck trying to make incentives with a 3rd string QB. Small bonuses -- no problem. But when you start linking the bulk of a contract to bonus money it becomes a mess for the player.

Oh yeah -- do you have any idea what an insurance policy like the kind you mention might cost? For a pro football player. Given the rate of injury, that's going to be a massive premium.
  7. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,497 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Wasn't Ricky Williams first deal a really bad no money guarenteed and all incentive type deal. I guess theres not a specific clause that says you have to pay them anything, but I bet the Union would really frown on this type stuff.
  8. AbeBeta

26,603 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    and Ricky's former agent is an agent no more.
  9. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not talking about an incentive laden deal. I'm talking about a straight roster bonus, if the player is on the roster on x date, he gets y amount of dollars.

I realize that performance would become a factor whether or not to cut the player the day before a bonus is due, but this would not approximate the deals signed by the likes of Ricky Williams or Maurice Clarett.

From a player's perspective, especially one with a unique history like Owens, the benefits may outweigh the risks. Imagine if there were three bonus dates with bonuses in excess of $2.5 million each. I doubt anyone takes an over $8 million chance on someone of Owens' character for next season any other way.