1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cool article on increasing wireless network bandwidth

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Meat-O-Rama, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Article Here

Love the quote at the very end:

She says that when her group got online on the Acela, the YouTube video they watched was of college students playing a real-world version of the Angry Birds video game. "The quality of the video was good. The quality of the content—we haven't solved," Medard says.
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Cool article" and "wireless bandwidth" do not belong together.

Nerd!
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    This has happen before. LAN, hub meet switch. Congestion massively decreased which eliminates most packet resending.

As for WiFi and Acela. It sucks everywhere. Not because the WiFi sucks, but because of the network hoping as you move on the tracks. The resending of packets is because the path to the trains WiFi network gets severed as it reconnects at the next network hop.

Not sure what coding packets would have to do with that. If the connection is severed, the packet has to be resent or rerouted which isn't possible with TCP/IP. (rerouting of a live packet that is) To do that would require a router to reroute a live packet which they do not do now. They just drop the packet and create new routes which the resent packet takes the new route.
  4. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Bummer these guys wasted all this time with a new algorithm when they could have just checked with you.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Exactly! Get with it people! I'm here, asked and you shall receive! (a kick in the teeth!) :laugh2: